Date: Wed, 23 Dec 87 01:54:16 est
From: fox (Ed Fox)
Subject: correction

IRList Digest V 3 #47 was incorrectly labelled as #45 on the top
line.  Please correct that in your files.  The topics included
two COGSCI and one CRTNET messages, in case you have trouble identifying
which issue is the correct #47.

Sorry for the error - Ed

PS I hope everyone has a happy holiday season and a happy New Year!

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 11-DEC-1987 22:25 EST
From:     <ERDT@VUVAXCOM>
Subject:  Author's query on scholars and telecommunications

    For a book forthcoming from Paradigm Press, entitled The
Electronic Scholar's Resource Guide, I am putting together a
piece on telecommunications, which will include bulletin board
systems, libraries with catalogs capable of dial-up connections,
Humanet on Scholarsnet, BRS and Dialog, some forums on
CompuServe, Bitnet's Humanist, as well as, of course, IRList
Digest. I would appreciate any suggestions for broadening the
scope of coverage as well as any information about specific
resources.

Terrence Erdt                      Erdt@vuvaxcom.Bitnet
Technical Review Editor
Computers and the Humanities
Grad. Dept. of Library Science
Villanova University
Villanova, PA 19085

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 12 Dec 1987 10:24:23 LCL
From:     Ruth A. Palmquist <PALMQUIS@SUVM>
Subject:  machine readable thesauri

Hello Ed,
  I would like to add three more userid's to the subscription list for
IR LIST.  They are all Information Studies faculty here at SU.
            Jeffrey Katzer     JKATZER at SUVM
            Barbara Kwasnik    BKWASNIK at SUVM
            Ruth Palmquist     PALMQUIS at SUVM

  Item two, I am looking for information on who might have a machine
readable thesaurus.  I have worked with the ERIC Thesaurus, as you
know, and find it lees than satisfactory.  Could I put out an APB on
IR List?

  Thanks and have a good holiday.   Ruth Palmquist

------------------------------

Date:    3 Dec 87  9:02 +0100
From:    Igor Metz <metz%iam.unibe.ch@relay.cs.net>
Subject: Text-retrieval program?

[Forwarded from SUN-SPOTS DIGEST Monday,14 December 1987 Volume 5: Issue 69]

We are looking for a text-retrieval program for our Sun (pd preferred).
With 'text-retrieval program' I mean a program that can index the words in
a text-file (ascii) and provides some type of access to the indexed data.
In this sense grep and awk are "trivial" examples of text-retrieval
programs.  Such a program should read a stopword file (file of words to be
skipped while indexing, eg. "the", "a", "and" etc.).

Such a program could be used to search big files (like the SUN-SPOTS) for
keywords (eg. find message where the body contains keywords "environment"
and "pascal", but does not contain the keyword "TeX"), or it could be used
to build thesauri etc.

Thanks in advance, Igor

Igor Metz                    EAN:  metz@iam.unibe.ch or metz@iam.unibe.chunet
Institut fuer Informatik           or iam.unibe.ch!metz@seismo.CSS.GOV
und angewandte Mathematik    UUCP: ..!uunet!mcvax!iam.unibe.ch!metz
Universitaet Bern            BITNET: u04z@cbebda3t.bitnet
Switzerland             Phone: (+31) 65 49 02

[[ Such a thing would be useful to help people find things in the archived
Sun-Spots digests.  Sadly, there is no mechanism to do so right now.
--wnl ]]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 87 00:44:54 est
From: John Goldak <goldak@cascade.carleton.cdn>
Subject: Source for NEWEUL:a  Symbolic Mechanics Program

Does anyone know where NEWEUL can be obtianed?
It is a symbolic algebra program that
deals with computational dynamics of some type.

------------------------------

From: Aviezri Fraenkel <fraenkel@wisdom>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 88 03:55:10 -0200
Subject: LanguageRecognition

Hello Ed, I attempted to send my reply to Lou's inquiry directly to him
with a cc to you, but our mailer didn't like his address and "ate up"
my msg. Hence I send it to you, in the hope that you will relay it to him.

We had success using the sequence of all adjacent pairs or triples of
letters. It seems that their frequencies characterize languages quite
nicely. The end of Lou's letter suggests he might have had something
along these lines in mind.   Best wishes,  Aviezri S. Fraenkel.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 87 02:55:26 PST
From: fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair)
Subject: IRList => comp.theory.info-retrieval

I run the ARPANET (and BITNET) Mailing List to USENET Newsgroup
Gateway at Berkeley and I chose that name because after reading
IRList for about a year, because it seemed appropriate to me.

        Erik E. Fair    ucbvax!fair     fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

[Note: It is nice to see people reminded about the importance of
theory in information retrieval! - Ed]

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 16 Dec 87 10:39:57 EST
From:         Paul Kahn <PDK@BROWNVM>
Subject:      Hypermedia bibliography

Coombs forwarded a question from IRLIST about the Hypermedia bibliography.
I sent you a paper copy of this yesterday. You are free to copy it and
distribute it. Please include the cover letter which requests corrections
and addition. Nicole Yankelovich has put this together (ny@iris.brown.edu)
and she should be contacted for additional copies or information. The
bibliography currently exists in the form of a Pro-Cite database. Pro-Cite
is a bibliographic management system from Personal Bibliographic Software
in Ann Arbor. There is a DOS version (current version is 1.3) and a Mac
version (should be released early 1988) which are binary compatible. I have
also produced a flat file containing all the records in a tagged format. I
could send that to you over BITNET, or offer it to people that way or on
a DOS diskette, as long as someone supplies the diskette and mailer.

[Note: Subsequent messages (51-53) will have the bibliography as sent to
me. - Ed]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 87 13:36:21 est
From: fox (Ed Fox)
Subject: CD-ROMs with Hypercard stacks

[Forwarded from INFO-MAC Digest Saturday, 12 Dec 1987  Volume 5 : Issue 144]

  Date: Tue, 01 Dec 87  00:14 EST
  From: SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
  Subject: December Vaporware (Newsletter column)

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
             From the December 1987 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

 . . .
Coming Soon, REALLY BIG Stackware.
Apple finally is nearing release of a CD ROM drive for the
Macintosh which will be accompanied by a new version of
Hypercard that will enable the program to work with
read-only devices.  Apple's drive is a half-height SCSI
device made by Sony which has an average access time of 500
milliseconds and a planned price of $1,500.  Several sources
say Microsoft will introduce Bookshelf Mac (a collection of
reference material on CD ROM) simultaneously with Apple's
introduction.  Lodown of Scotts Valley California which
already has a Macintosh compatible CD ROM has announced
plans to offer its drive bundled with 100 megabytes of
shareware and 10 to 15 megabytes of stackware it's already
received from Apple for use with Hypercard.  Lodown's drive
is both quicker (average access time of 200 milliseconds)
and less costly ($1,100).  - InfoWorld 8 October

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 87 10:33:52 PST
From: emma@russell.stanford.edu
Subject: Revised title and abstract for CSLI Seminar [Extract - Ed]

                            CSLI SEMINAR
                      Interpretation as Abduction
                             Jerry R. Hobbs
                           December 17, 1987
                        2:15, Redwood Hall G-19

The goal of the TACITUS project at SRI is investigate the use of
commonsense knowledge in the interpretation of discourse.  We have
recently developed a new scheme for abductive inference that yields a
dramatic simplification of our characterization of what interpretation
is.  I will discuss its use in solving various local pragmatics
problems, such as the resolution of reference, metonymy, and syntactic
ambiguity problems and the interpretation of compound nominals.  The
scheme also suggests an elegant way to integrate syntactic and
pragmatic processing, and this will be discussed briefly.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1987  16:22 EST
From: Peter de Jong <DEJONG%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Cognitive Science Calendar [Extract - Ed]

  Date: Monday, 14 December 1987  10:07-EST
  From: Rosemary B. Hegg <ROSIE at XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
  Re:   Jon Doyle seminar on 12/18 at 2pm

                DATE: December 18, 1987
                TIME: Refreshments: 1.45 pm
                      Lecture: 2:00PM
               PLACE: NE43-8th floor playroom

             ON UNIVERSAL THEORIES OF DEFAULTS

                        JON DOYLE
              Department of Computer Science
                Carnegie Mellon University

                         ABSTRACT

Though unifications of some of the numerous theories of
default reasoning have been found, we bolster doubts about the
existence of universal theories by viewing default reasoning from the
standpoint of decision theory as a case of rational self-government of
inference.  Default rules express not only methods for deriving new
conclusions from old, but also preferences among sets of possible
conclusions.  Conflicting default rules, which form the central
difficulty in the theories, represent inconsistent preferences about
conclusions.  These conflicting rules arise naturally in practice,
especially in databases representing the knowledge of several experts.
We formally compare these theories of rational inference with theories
of group decision making, and develop doubts about universal theories
of the former by considering well-known negative results about the
latter.

HOST:  Prof. Peter Szolovits

END OF IRList Digest