Date: Mon, 25 Jan 88 17:56:00 EST
From: Ben Shneiderman <ben@mimsy.umd.edu>
Subject: topics

Thanks for puttin gout the notice about the Software Psych meeting.

I would like to suggest that you add two terms to the topics list:
   human-computer interaction
   user interface design

OK?
 . . .
[Note: Sounds like an obvious thing - thought I had those included -
will add right away - Ed]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 88 11:54:53 EST
From: FC74SANF@MIAMIU.BITNET
Subject: cd rom disk

Dear Dr Fox:
I am interested in the document collections that will be available (?)
in cd rom environment. Question: how am I going to transfer them into
the IBM 4381 environment?  Thank you for your concern in this matter.
      Fazli Can, fc74sanf@miamiu.bitnet
ps: I mailed the above message on the last day of 87,
    i've noticed that you did not receive it.

[Note: Yes, I did not receive it. Perhaps it was sent as a BITNET file
instead of mail message and was accidentally destroyed - mail seems
more reliable.  Anyhow, to reply:  Yes, we are putting various IR
Collections on Virginia Disk One, to be produced during the next
month.  Most people read CDROMs on PCs - we may use the new ISO
standard file format so anyone able to handle that should be able to
use our disc. I guess you could use an IBM PC as a file server for
the 4381?  Perhaps others know more about IBM 4381 environments - Ed]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 88 11:14:59 pst
From: Rusty Sanders <sdcsvax!esosun!megatek!rgs@RUTGERS.EDU>
To: science@NEMS.ARPA
Subject: Re: Programs to do inverted indices
Cc: fox@vtopus.cs.vt.edu

   science@nems.ARPA (Mark Zimmermann):

> Forwarded by fox@vtopus.cs.vt.edu (Ed Fox)
>
> I wrote up a bunch of programs in C about 6 months ago that run on Sun,
> VAX, Macintosh, etc., which generate simple complete inverted indices to
> every word in an ascii text file.

I think this utility sounds like it would be of use to many people. I believe
you should post it to comp.sources.unix, so that it will receive a wide
distribution across the net. It certianly would be at least as useful as
most of the stuff posted there.

I'd like you to send me a copy of it directly, if you're not going to post
it. But I'm not sure I can come up with a good mail address for your mailer,
not being very familiar with arpanet mailer tendencies. Normally I'd say just
try to send an ack back to rgs@megatek.UUCP and see if it works.

In any case, I strongly recommend that you post to comp.unix.sources. If you
can't convince your mailer/news reader to accomidate you, possibly your
friend Ed Fox can help you out again.

------------------------------

From: Eric Ole Barber <mcvax!nw.stl.stc.co.uk!sizex@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 88 12:45:58 GMT
Subject: zimmermann@nems.arpa, Programs to do inverted indices

Yes please send the routines to me. People seem to mail to me as
  mcvax!nw.stl.stc.co.uk!sizex@uunet.uu.net
from U.S. mailers which aren't picky.

Have you thought of putting the routines
in the sun-spots archive so that retrieval is automatic, if not random? Thanks,
Eric Barber

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 88 00:10:14 CST
From: Gautam Biswas <vuse!ee2!biswas@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Like to get on "irlist"

Ed,

Hi.  This is to inform you that I have just moved to Vanderbilt Univ. My new
address is:
     Computer Science Dept.
     Box 1688, Station B
     Vanderbilt University
     Nashville, TN 37235.
     (615)-342-6204.
csnet address:   biswas@vanderbilt.csnet
Gautam.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 88 17:38:59 est
From: fox (Ed Fox)
To: fox
Subject: Microsoft Conference and SIGIR

The 3rd International CDROM Conference will be held in Seattle on
March 1-3, 1988. Conference information can be obtained by calling
(206) 867-3341 or (206) 882-8080 x7213 or writing to Microsoft Corp.,
Sherrie Eastman, Dept. CDR1, Box 97017, Redmond WA 98073-9717

On Thursday, March 3 from 2pm-3:30pm there will be an ACM SIGIR
sponsored session in room 428 of the Sheraton Hotel.  Here are some
of the things that will happen:
1) Either Daniel Ford or Stavros Christodoulakis of the Univ. of
  Waterloo will give a 20 minute talk about the performance and
  modeling of CDROM and WORM drives.
2) Mark Mandelbaum and Bernard Rous Maurer of ACM Headquaters
  will discuss ACM's goals and progress in the area of CDROM and
  electronic publishing, and invite participation. Jim Maurer,
  Executive Editor of Communications of the ACM will be there too, and
  he can talk about CACM too.
3) Matthew Koll will talk about information retrieval implications for
  CDROM production and access.
4) I will moderate the session, and invite people to become involved
  in ACM Press Books' new venture in Database Products.

At 3:30, the room will be turned over to Karen Kaye's session on
CD-ROM Retrieval Software Evaluation.  So people may want to support
that session of the new Full-Text SIG.

I hope to see some of you there! Regards, Ed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 88 10:52:52 est
From: Bob Allen <rba@FLASH.BELLCORE.COM>
Subject: Program for Office Information Systems Conference

        COIS88 - Conference on Office Information Systems
                        March 23-25,1988
           Hyatt Rickeys Hotel, Palo Alto, California
Sponsored by: ACM SIGOIS and IEEECS TC-OA  -  In cooperation with: IFIP W.G. 8.4

SPEAKERS
     Keynote: Terry Winograd
     Banquet: Kristen Nygaard, at Tresidder Union, Stanford University

SESSIONS
     Collaborative Work (Chair: Irene Greif)
     Task Modeling, Planning, and Coordination (Chair: Carl Hewitt)
     Organizational Impact (Chair: Rob Kling)
     Social Research: Methods and Principles (Chair: Tora Bikson)
     Multimedia (Chair: Donald Chamberlin)
     Hypertext and Information Retrieval (Chair: Walter Bender)
     Object-Oriented and Distributed Databases
     Object-Oriented Programming Systems

PANELS
     Hypertext and Electronic Publishing (chair: Norm Meyrowitz)
     Distributed Artificial Intelligence (chair: Les Gasser)
     User Design of Interfaces (Chair: Austin Henderson)
     Object-Oriented PS/DBMSs (chair: Stan Zdonik)

For more information contact:
     Najah Naffah, Bull, 1 Rue Ampere, BP 92 91301, Massy, France  / 33-1-644790
41
        or
     Bob Allen, Bellcore, 2A-367, Morristown, NJ 07960 / (201)-829-4315 / rba@be
llcore.com

------------------------------

Date:     26 Jan 88 16:14:00 EST
From:     Nahum (N.) Goldmann <ACOUST@BNR>
Subject:  BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT: Effective Online Searching for Scientists

ONLINE RESEARCH AND RETRIEVAL WITH MICROCOMPUTERS, by Nahum
Goldmann

This book (TAB Professional and Reference Books,
ISBN 0-8306-1947-X, tel. 1-800-233-1128) is the first on
computerized information retrieval specifically addressed to the
end-user.  The book describes what kind of information is
available online, how to search for it, and how to use it to
your advantage.

The book outlines the SUBJECT EXPERT SEARCHING TECHNIQUE - a new
methodology for online information gathering.  This efficient
research method is especially tailored for the end-users of
information who are working in rapidly developing scientific
areas.  It has been successfully used by several R&D
organizations.  With this technique, occasional users such as
scientists and students can now master the use of online
databases for themselves.

Nahum Goldmann
BNR
(613)726-2329

------------------------------

Date: Tue 26 Jan 88 17:30:38-EST
From: Nancy Roderer <CUL.RODERER@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: ASIS NY Chapter - Program for Meeting

                     METROPOLITAN NEW YORK CHAPTER
               AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE
                            MEETING NOTICE

DATE:       Monday, February 29, 1988

SPEAKERS:   Gerard Salton, Professor, Cornell University
            Department of Computer Science

            Michael McGill, Vice President, Research and Technical
            Planning, OCLC, Inc.

TOPIC:      COULD RETRIEVAL SYSTEMS BE BETTER?

Academic researchers in the field of information retrieval have
developed sophisticated techniques that could significantly improve the
performance of bibliographic retrieval systems.  These techniques,
however, are rarely incorporated in operational systems.

Our distinguished speakers will address this apparent dilemma from
their respective points of view -- Professor Salton as an academic
researcher and Dr. McGill based on his involvement with an operational
system.  Each speaker will give a short presentation of their point of
view and then they will talk together about the potential for increased
cooperation between researchers and developers.

PLACE:      CUNY Graduate Center, Room 1800
            33 W. 42nd Street, New York, NY

TIME:       5:30 - 6:30 p.m.  Social hour with refreshments
            6:30 - 7:30 p.m.  Program

PRICE:      $10.00 per person if paid in advance; $12.00 at the
            door.  Telephone reservations are not accepted.  Students
            may attend without charge if they send in a reservation in
            advance.

SEND RESERVATION AND PAYMENT     Mickie Watterson, Treasurer
BY FEBRUARY 20 TO:               P.O. Box 974
                                 New York, NY  10113
                                 (212) 807-0068

Please reserve ____ place(s) @ $10.00 each for the February 29, 1988
meeting.  A check for $_______ payable to ASIS/MNY Chapter is
enclosed.
Name______________________________ Business Phone_________________

Affiliation_________________________________
Member of _____ ASIS _____ SLA _____ ACM. Please check all that apply.

____ I am a student and wish to attend free of charge.
University ______________________________

------------------------------

From: cbosgd!mhuxd!dthk@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: papers of interest
Date: Wed, 27-Jan-88 13:45:20 EST

Hi, Ed:

 . . .

I have recently published 2 papers in Online magazine that might be of
interest to readers of IRList.  They are:

Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems for Information Professionals--
Basic AI Terminology.
D. T. Hawkins
Online 11(5): 91-8 (September 1987)
    This defines terms and is a very brief tutorial on AI, ES, and some
    systems (e.g. MYCIN).  It mentions IRList and your name as editor!

Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems for Online Searching.
D. T. Hawkins
Online 12(1): 31-43 (January 1988)
    Discusses how AI could help online searchers.  Includes a reading
    list of appropriate works in the field.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has comments on these papers.

Don Hawkins
AT&T Network Systems
Room 4L-338
Holmdel, NJ  07733
(201)-949-3219
...ihnp4!mhuxd!dthk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1988  13:07 EST
From: Peter de Jong <DEJONG%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Cognitive Science Calendar [Extract - Ed]

  Date: Thursday, 21 January 1988  10:16-EST
  Re:  MIT Brain and Cognitive Sciences Seminar

  Thursday,  28 January  12:00pm  Room: E25-401

Neighborhoods of Words in the Mental Lexicon

Dr. Paul A. Luce
Indiana University
Speech Research Laboratory
Department of Psychology
Bloomington, Indiana
[Note: sounds intesting - can anyone report on this? - Ed]

END OF IRList Digest