Date:     Fri,  8 Apr 88 21:30 EST
From:     Christopher J. Seline <SCS7317@OBERLIN>
Subject:  PC based text systems for law

I'm about to enter law school, and I was wondering about PC Based text systems
related to law.  I suppose case tracking and citation retrieval are important.
Can anyone suggest where I should look for such programs?

Thanks in Advance,

Chris Seline
scs7317@oberlin.bitnet
scs7317%ocvaxa@vb.cc.cmu.edu (arpa/internet)

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 14 Apr 88 17:52 EDT
From: krovetz@UMass
Subject:  legal text and IR

Does anyone know of any collections of legal text used for
IR?  I already know about the work that Carole Hafner did
for her dissertation, and the work Carey deBessonet is
doing at Louisiana State.

Thanks,
Bob

krovetz@cs.umass.edu or
krovetz@umass.bitnet

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 19 Apr 88 07:44 EDT
From: krovetz@UMass
Subject:  RE: legal text and IR

[Note: I asked a few questions regarding the above request that
prompted the message below - Ed.]

Ed,
  I'm in the process of assembling an online bibliography of
my reports.  I'll send you a list of whatever I have on
Legal IR (AI and Law is one of my major interests;  the
paper I wrote for my Master's degree was about Knowledge
Representation and Legal Concepts).

  I was at the Int'l Conference on AI and Law.  I think
you can get the proceeding through ACM.

Best,
Bob

------------------------------

From: STATP07%UNIPAD.INFNET@cernvax
Date: SAT,  9-APR-88 10:45 N
Subject: RE: IRList Digest V4 #17

Dear Professor Fox,
In connection with the request of information of Richard Pollard,
I would like to say that if any person is going to send an answer to Pollard, th
at
I would be also be interested in having the answers to his two questions.
Thank you.
Maristella Agosti
Dip. Elettronica e Informatica
Via Gradenigo, 6/A
35131 Padova
Italy
email: statp07@unipad.infnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 88 10:15:48 EST
From: "Susanne M. HUMPHREY" <humphrey@MCS.NLM.NIH.GOV>
Subject: IRList inquiry by R. Pollard

Ed, with regard to Pollard's inquiry in IRList Digest regarding graphical
display of MeSH, the appended are a couple of recent publications by
researchers who are participating in NLM's Unified Medical Language System
project as contractors.  MicroMeSH is written in DataTree Standard MUMPS.
The tool for authoring and browsing semantic networks is written in KEE
and Interlisp-D.  --Susanne

%Q Lowe, Henry J.
%Q Barnett, G. Octo
%T MicroMeSH: a microcomputer system for searching and exploring the National Li
brary of Medicine's Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) Vocabulary.
%J Proceedings, The Eleventh Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medica
l Care
%P 717-720
%I Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
%C New York (Distributed by Computer Society of the IEEE, Terminal Annex, Post O
ffice Box 4699, Los Angeles, CA 90080)
%D 1987
%O Washington, DC, Nov 1-4, 1987

%Q Komorowski, Henryk Jan
%Q Greenes, Robert A
%Q Barr, Charles
%Q Pattison-Gordon, Edward
%T Browsing and authoring tools for a Unified Medical Language System.
%J RIAO 88 Program, Conference with presentation of prototypes and operational d
emonstrations
%P 624-641
%I CID
%C Paris
%D 1988 Mar
%O MIT, Cambridge, MA, Mar 21-24, 1988

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 26 Apr 88 18:28 EDT
From: LEWIS@UMass
Subject:  NLP and IR

We have a group here at University of Massachusetts, Amherst, headed by
Bruce Croft, working on NLP for IR.  Nehru Bhandaru and I focus on
on-line NLP analysis of queries and documents, while Bob Krovetz is
concentrating on NLP analysis of documents for indexing. There's an article
by myself, Bruce, and Nehru that will be appearing in International Journal
of Intelligent Systems later this year which will contain a survey on NLP
for IR, as well as preliminary results on our experiments with making use of
hand-built semantic representations of queries and documents to improve
retrieval performance. Results are encouraging, but it's worth
saying that building semantic representations is not an instant cure-all for
IR. We're currently working with a parser called TRUMP built by Paul Jacobs
at GE, but we're always interested in hearing about any robust, Common LISP
parsers that people know to be available. We've also got the on-line Longman
dictionary and are working on hooking that up to TRUMP.

      The following is a list of references of applications of NLP to IR.
Most of them are cited in our IJIS article as well.  Hope these help--sorry
for the messy BIBTEX format.

@string{ipmai87 = "Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence and
                Information Retrieval"}
@string{isr = "Information Storage and Retrieval"}
@string{ipm =  "Information Processing and Management"}
@string{ijmms = "International Journal of Man-Machine Studies"}
@string{jod = "Journal of Documentation"}
@string{jacm = "Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery"}
@string{riao88 = "RIAO 88 : User-Oriented Content-Based Text and Image
Handling"}
@string{bcs84 = "Research and Development in Information Retrieval:
Proceedings of the Third Joint BCS and ACM Symposium"}
@string{sigir87ed = "Yu, C. T. and {van Rijsbergen}, C. J."}
@STRING{anlp88 = "Second Conference on Applied Natural Language Processing"}
@string{jasis = "Journal of the American Society for Information Science"}

@inproceedings{BERRUT86
,               author = "Catherine Berrut and Patrick Palmer"
,               title = "Solving Grammatical Ambiguities within a
 Surface Syntactical Parser for Automatic Indexing"
,               booktitle = sigir86
,               pages = "123--130"
,               year = 1986}

@inproceedings{BRUANDET87
,               author = "Marie-France Bruandet"
,               title  = "Outline Of A Knowledge Base Model For An Intelligent
                          Information Retrieval System"
,               booktitle = sigir87
,               year = 1987
,               month = "June"
,               editor = sigir87ed
,               pages = "33--43"}

@article{CHIARAMELLA87
,               author = "Y. Chiaramella and B. Defude"
,               title = "A Prototype of an Intelligent System for Information
                         Retrieval: {IOTA}"
,               journal = "Information Processing and Management"
,               year = 1987
,               volume = 23
,               number = 4
, note = ipmai87
,               pages = "285-303"
  }

@article{CROFT87
,               author = "W. Bruce Croft"
,               title = "Approaches to Intelligent Information Retrieval"
,               journal = "Information Processing and Management"
,               year = 1987
,               volume = 23
,               number = 4
,               pages = "249-254"
, note = ipmai87
 }

@inproceedings{CROFT87c
, author = "W. Bruce Croft and David D. Lewis"
, title = "An Approach to Natural Language Processing for Document Retrieval"
, booktitle = sigir87
, year = 1987
, pages = "26--32"
 }

@inproceedings{DEFUDE85
,               author = "B. Defude"
,               title = "Different Levels of Expertise for an Expert System
 in Information Retrieval"
,               booktitle = sigir85
,               year = 1985
,               pages = "147-153"
 }

@inproceedings{DEJACO86
,               author = "Dario DeJaco and Gianluca Garbolino"
,               title  = "An Information Retrieval System Based on
                          Artificial Intelligence Techniques"
,               booktitle = sigir86
,               year = 1986
,               pages = "214-220"
 }

@article{DILLON83
,               author = "Martin Dillon and Ann S. Gray"
,               title = "{FASIT}: A Fully Automatic Syntactically Based
                         Indexing System"
,               journal = jasis
,               year = 1983
,               month = "march"
,               pages = "99--108"
,               volume = 34
,               number = 2}

@article{EARL70
,               author = "Lois L. Earl"
,               title = "Experiments in Automatic Extracting and Indexing"
,               journal = isr
,               Volume = 6
,               pages = "313--324"
,               year = 1970
 }

@phdthesis{FAGAN87
,               author = "Joel L. Fagan"
,               title = "Experiments in Automatic Phrase Indexing for
                         Document Retrieval: A Comparison of Syntactic and
                         Non-Syntactic Methods"
,               school = "Department of Computer Science, Cornell University"
,               year = 1987
,               month = "September"}

@article{FOX87
,               author = "Edward A. Fox"
,               title = "Development of the CODER System: A Testbed for
 Artificial Intelligence Methods in Information Retrieval"
,               journal = ipm
,               year = 1987
,               volume = 23
,               number = 4
,               pages = "341--366"
,               note = ipmai87
 }

@inproceedings{FUHR84
, author = "N. Fuhr and G. E. Knorz"
, title = "Retrieval Test Evaluation of a Rule Based Automatic Indexing
 {(AIR/PHYS)}"
, booktitle = bcs84
, year = 1984
, editor = VanR
, pages = "391--408"
, publisher = "Cambridge University Press"
, address = "Cambridge"
, month = "July 2-6"
 }

@techreport{HAHN86
,  author = "Udo Hahn and Ulrich Reimer"
,  title = "TOPIC Essentials"
,  institution = "Universitat Konstanz"
,  number = "TOPIC-19/86"
,  year = 1986
,  address = "Konstanz"
,  month = "April"
  }

@inproceedings{HAYES88
,               author = "Philip J. Hayes and Laura E. Knecht and
 Monica J. Cellio"
,               title = "A News Story Categorization System"
,               booktitle = anlp88
,               month = feb
,               pages = "9--17"
,               year = 1988}

@inproceedings{HILLMAN69
,               author = "Donald J. Hillman and Andrew J. Kasarda"
,               title  = "The {LEADER} Retrieval System"
,               booktitle = "Spring Joint Computer Conference"
,               organization = "AFIPS"
,               year = 1969
,               pages = "447--455"}

@inproceedings{MAULDIN87
,               author = "Michael Mauldin and Jaime Carbonell and
                          Richard Thomason"
,               title  = "Beyond the Keyword Barrier: Knowledge-Based
                         Information Retrieval"
,               booktitle = "29th Annual Conference of the National
                             Federation of Abstracting and Information
                             Services"
,                publisher = "Elsevier Press"
,               year = 1987}

@article{RAU87
,               author = "Lisa F. Rau"
,               title = "Knowledge Organization and Access in A Conceptual
Information System"
,               journal = ipm
,               year = 1987
,               volume = 23
,               number = 4
,               note = ipmai87
,               pages = "269--283"}

@inbook{SALTON66
,               author = "Gerald Salton"
,               title  = "Automatic Phrase Matching"
,               booktitle = "Readings in Automatic Language Processing"
,                editor = "David G. Hays"
,                pages = "169--188"
,                publisher = "American Elsevier Publishing Company, Inc."
,                 address = "New York"
,                year = 1966}

@book{SALTON68
, author = "Gerald Salton"
, title = "Automatic Information Organization and Retrieval"
, publisher = "McGraw-Hill Book Company"
, year = 1968
, address = "New York"
  }

@article{SALTON68b
, author = "G. Salton and M. E. Lesk"
, title = "Computer Evaluation of Indexing and Text Processing"
, journal = jacm
, year = 1968
, volume = 15
, number = 1
, pages = "8-36"
  }

@phdthesis{SMEATON87
, author = "Alan F. Smeaton"
, title = "Using Parsing of Natural Language as part of Document Retrieval"
, school = "University College Dublin; The National University of Ireland"
, year = 1987
, month = Sept
 }

@inproceedings{SMEATON86
,               author = "Alan F. Smeaton"
,               title  = "Incorporating Syntactic Information
                 into a Document Retrieval Strategy: an Investigation"
,               booktitle = sigir86
,               year = 1986
,               pages = "103--113"
        }

@article{SPARCKJONES84
,               author ="K. Sparck Jones and J. I. Tait"
,               title  = "Automatic Search Term Variant Generation"
,               journal = jod
,               year = 1984
,               volume = 40
,               number = 1
,               month = "March"
,               pages = "50--66"}

@inproceedings{THIEL87
,               author = "Ulrich Thiel and Rainer Hammwohner"
,               title  = "Informational Zooming: An Interaction Model
                          for the Graphical Access to Text Knowledge Bases"
,               booktitle = sigir87
,               month = "june"
,                editor = sigir87ed
,               pages = "45--56"
,               year = 1987
  }

@inproceedings{THURMAIR86
,               author = "G. Thurmair"
,               title  = "A Common Architecture for Different Text
Processing Techniques in an Information Retrieval Environment"
,               booktitle = sigir86
,               year = 1986
,               pages = "138-143"
        }

@inproceedings{YOUNG85
,               author = "Sheryl R. Young and Philip J.Hayes"
,               title  = "Automatic Classification and Summarization of
                          Banking Telexes"
,               booktitle = "The Second Conference on Artificial
                             Intelligence Applications"
,               year = 1985
,               month = "December"
,               pages = "402--408"
,                organization = "IEEE Computer Society"

                }

Best,
David D. Lewis                         CSNET: lewis@cs.umass.edu
COINS Dept.                            BITNET: lewis@umass