[comp.mail.mh] A limitation with repl?

david@dandelion.CI.COM (David M. Watson) (11/03/87)

In MH 6.5, I use the option '-nocc me' in the repl: line of my .mh_profile,
but mail addressed to me from other machines contains a "To:" line that
doesn't match repl's simplistic concept of who I really am.  For example,
when someone sends me mail from the host called amber, repl gets the
chance to discard the address "david@amber" found in the "To:" line,
but it doesn't know that david@amber is actually me.

I see two opportunities to correct this behavior: on the sending side,
and in my repl process.  If the sender's machine left the "To:" line
as the sender typed it (which was "To: david"; sendmail aliased "david" to
"david@dandelion" so the message could be sent to me), then my repl would
match "david" and suppress the cc to me as I specified.  Alternatively,
if repl were smart enough to realize that "david@host", where "host" is
the name of a machine in the domain .ci.com, was equivalent to "david",
then it would suppress the cc to "david@amber".

I would guess that the former of the two methods is preferable -- if so,
is there any way short of modifying MH to get it not to meddle with the
"To:" line?

		-David Watson
		 Cognition, Inc. (617) 667-4800
		 Billerica, MA

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (11/04/87)

In article <4183@dandelion.CI.COM> david@dandelion.UUCP (David M. Watson) writes:
>In MH 6.5, I use the option '-nocc me' in the repl: line of my .mh_profile,
>but mail addressed to me from other machines contains a "To:" line that
>doesn't match repl's simplistic concept of who I really am.  For example,
>when someone sends me mail from the host called amber, repl gets the
>chance to discard the address "david@amber" found in the "To:" line,
>but it doesn't know that david@amber is actually me.

The following entry from mh-profile(5) may be of help:
     Alternate-Mailboxes: mh@uci-750a, bug-mh*
		    Tells repl and scan	which addresses	are really
		    yours.  In this way, repl knows which addresses
		    should be included in the reply, and scan knows if
		    the	message	really originated from you.  Addresses
		    must be separated by a comma, and the hostnames
		    listed should be the official hostnames for	the
		    mailboxes you indicate, as local nicknames for
		    hosts are not replaced with	their official site
		    names.  For	each address, if a host	is not given,
		    then that address on any host is considered	to be
		    you.  In addition, an asterisk (`*') may appear at
		    either or both ends	of the mailbox and host	to
		    indicate wild-card matching.  (profile, default:
		    your user-id)

Put an alternate-mailbox entry in your .mh_profile and repl and scan will
hopefully do what you want, if I understood your question correctly.

I am using version MH 6.5Kg #61[UCI] of mh running under HPUX on
HP9000S{300,800} series machines.

-- Niels Mayer
   HP Labs.

dave@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (David R. Marquardt) (11/05/87)

In article <4183@dandelion.CI.COM> david@dandelion.UUCP (David M. Watson) writes:
>In MH 6.5, I use the option '-nocc me' in the repl: line of my .mh_profile,
>but mail addressed to me from other machines contains a "To:" line that
>doesn't match repl's simplistic concept of who I really am.  For example,
>when someone sends me mail from the host called amber, repl gets the
>chance to discard the address "david@amber" found in the "To:" line,
>but it doesn't know that david@amber is actually me.

stuff deleted

>I would guess that the former of the two methods is preferable -- if so,
>is there any way short of modifying MH to get it not to meddle with the
>"To:" line?

Yes.  Try setting Alternate-Mailboxes in your .mh_profile.  For example, my
mail is all forwarded to dave@rosesun.rosemount.com, but the main mail machine
here is rosevax.  Here's my Alternate-Mailboxes: line from my .mh_profile:

Alternate-Mailboxes: dave@rosesun, dave@rosevax, rosevax!dave

This seems to cover the vast majority of the cases.  Oh, I also have -nocc me
set for repl.

	Dave

davy@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry) (11/05/87)

In article <4183@dandelion.CI.COM> david@dandelion.UUCP (David M. Watson) writes:

>In MH 6.5, I use the option '-nocc me' in the repl: line of my .mh_profile,
>but mail addressed to me from other machines contains a "To:" line that
>doesn't match repl's simplistic concept of who I really am.  For example,
>when someone sends me mail from the host called amber, repl gets the
>chance to discard the address "david@amber" found in the "To:" line,
>but it doesn't know that david@amber is actually me.
>
>is there any way short of modifying MH to get it not to meddle with the
>"To:" line?

You can set something in your .mh_profile called "Alternate-Mailboxes",
which specifies patterns to math on for addresses.  For example, I
have the line:

	Alternate-Mailboxes: davy@*, *pur-ee!davy, archive, netops, uucp

This makes davy@anything and anything!pur-ee!davy get considered to be
"me".  I also receive mail on the system-wide aliases "archive", "netops",
and "uucp"; this takes those out too so I don't send myself mail.

There are other things you can do with this too (besides using "*"), but
I forget where I found the documentation for it, as I was just perusing
the MH docs at the time.  I know it's in the on-line man pages; maybe
in section 5?

--Dave Curry

billr@tekred.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) (11/05/87)

I have the same problem.  In addition I have other mail aliases in
addition to my normal login name (e.g. billr@tekred, games@tekred).
I tried using the "Alternate-Mailboxes:" entry in my .mh_profile
file [see mh_profile(5)] as it seems to imply that it will handle
this, but it doesn't seem to work.  I'd be interested if anyone
has any good suggestions.

	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.
	billr@tekred.TEK.COM

goldberg@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Jeffrey Goldberg) (11/06/87)

Aternate-Mailboxes  doesn't seem to work for me either.  Could
someone who claims that this works post the relevent parts of their
.mh_profile, their current MH version and configuration, and their
replcomps file?

-Thanks.
--
Jeff Goldberg
ARPA   goldberg@russell.stanford.edu

dave@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (David R. Marquardt) (11/08/87)

In article <604@russell.STANFORD.EDU> goldberg@russell.UUCP (Jeffrey Goldberg) writes:
>Aternate-Mailboxes  doesn't seem to work for me either.  Could
>someone who claims that this works post the relevent parts of their
>.mh_profile, their current MH version and configuration, and their
>replcomps file?

Okay.  I'm running MH 6.5.  Here's my entire .mh_profile:

Editor: /usr/ucb/vi
showproc: /usr/local/bin/less
repl: -filter reply.filter -nocc me
Alternate-Mailboxes: dave@rosesun*, dave@rosevax*, *rosevax!dave

Works great for me.

	Dave

sharat@cvl.umd.edu (S. Chandran) (11/11/87)

In article <3052@rosevax.Rosemount.COM> dave@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (David R. Marquardt) writes:
>In article <604@russell.STANFORD.EDU> goldberg@russell.UUCP (Jeffrey Goldberg) writes:

>>Aternate-Mailboxes  doesn't seem to work for me either.  Could

>Okay.  I'm running MH 6.5.  Here's my entire .mh_profile:

>Editor: /usr/ucb/vi
>showproc: /usr/local/bin/less
>repl: -filter reply.filter -nocc me
>Alternate-Mailboxes: dave@rosesun*, dave@rosevax*, *rosevax!dave
>
>Works great for me.

Perhaps I am goofing, but since Dave has no 'cc' option,
repl figures out who he is via Alternate-Mailboxes and
doesn't cc him.

What I (and I suspect others) want is repl to 'cc' me, but
not to do this more than once.  Usually my mail ends being
"To foo@bar; cc:sharat@cvl, sharat@cvl".  I can't seem to
be able to do this via Alternate-Mailboxes.

thomas@spline.UUCP (11/12/87)

I just tried the following combo:

Alternate-Mailboxes: thomas@utah*, *!spline!thomas, spline!thomas@utah*, thomas@gr.utah.edu, thomas@cs.utah.edu, thomas@spline.utah*, thomas@spline, thomas@gr, thomas@cs
repl: -nocc me -cc me

I seem to get only one cc to me ('thomas'), no matter how I appeared
in the envelope.  If I am doing a '-nocc all' reply, I don't appear at
all in the list.  Seems to do just what I usually want, anyway.

=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@cs.utah.edu)

karlton@decwrl.dec.com (Philip Karlton) (11/14/87)

Well I just tried this in my .my_profile

	repl:           -cc all -nocc me -cc me
	Alternate-Mailboxes: karlton, decwrl!karlton

and a message that came in with

	From: site!person
	To: decwrl!karlton

generated in the outgoing message

	To: site!person
	cc: decwrl!karlton, karlton

What should I have in my repl: line so that I won't get decwrl!karlton in it
while still getting karlton?

PK

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (11/15/87)

In the referenced article, karlton@decwrl.UUCP (Philip Karlton) wrote:
}Well I just tried this in my .my_profile
}	repl:           -cc all -nocc me -cc me
}	Alternate-Mailboxes: karlton, decwrl!karlton
}and a message that came in with
}	From: site!person
}	To: decwrl!karlton
}generated in the outgoing message
}	To: site!person
}	cc: decwrl!karlton, karlton
}What should I have in my repl: line so that I won't get decwrl!karlton in it
}while still getting karlton?

Hmm, perhaps the -cc me negates the -nocc me.  I've seen other
silliness along these lines in MH before.  Suggestion: get rid of
the -cc me and put "Fcc: +outbox" in all your comps files.  This
is more convenient and faster anyway.
---
Jef

       Jef Poskanzer  {hoptoad,hplabs,lll-lcc,ptsfa}!well!pokey

billr@tekred.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) (11/19/87)

I may have found the reason that Alternate-Mailboxes doesn't work for
me: we have version 5.13[UCI/UCB] of mh and the documentation describes
version 6.1.  Maybe somewon with more knowledge could tell us if
the alternate mailbox stuff works in version 5.  ["repl -help" displays
the version number.]

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (11/25/87)

In article <4449@well.UUCP> pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) writes:

>Hmm, perhaps the -cc me negates the -nocc me.  I've seen other
>silliness along these lines in MH before.  Suggestion: get rid of
>the -cc me and put "Fcc: +outbox" in all your comps files.  This
>is more convenient and faster anyway.
>---
Excuse my ignorance... would you please elaborate as to where I
should put Fcc: +outbox ? (I am really new to MH) thanks.
				  Indra Singhal
				  amdcad!indra@decwrl.dYRdaysd

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (11/26/87)

>In article <4449@well.UUCP> pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
>>
>>Hmm, perhaps the -cc me negates the -nocc me.  I've seen other
>>silliness along these lines in MH before.  Suggestion: get rid of
>>the -cc me and put "Fcc: +outbox" in all your comps files.  This
>>is more convenient and faster anyway.
>>---
>Excuse my ignorance... would you please elaborate as to where I
>should put Fcc: +outbox ? (I am really new to MH) thanks.

I figured it out: in my .mh_profile I put:
	repl: -fcc +outbox -nocc all
to achieve what I was looking for. Now, since 'comp' does not
support the -fcc switch, will some one tell me how to do some thing
similar ?
						Indra.
						amdcad!indra

pb1v+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Patrick Barron) (11/27/87)

	I figured it out: in my .mh_profile I put:

		repl: -fcc +outbox -nocc all

	to achieve what I was looking for. Now, since 'comp' does not

	support the -fcc switch, will some one tell me how to do some thing

	similar ?

You need to have a file called "components" in your MH Mail directory that
includes the "Fcc:" header.  My components file looks like:

   To:#

   Subject:#

   Fcc: +blind_copy

(where the '#' character represents a trailing space.)  You can have a
"replcomps" file and a "distcomps" file to affect the headers for the "repl"
and "dist" commands, respectively.

--Pat.