[comp.mail.mh] Chagrin

abrams@COMMUNITY-CHEST.MITRE.ORG (01/20/88)

I thought I had learned something, but I should have tested it first.
I thought I had learned how to send a message to a distribution list
without the whole list showing up on everybody's copy,  using a construct like:

    To: abritrary-listname: listname;

The recipients will not see the text between the colon and the semi-colon.
All they'll see is:

    To: arbitary-listname: ;

So I sent a message addressed as follows:

	To: mailusers:big-list;
Where big-list is in my aliasfile.  The mailer returned the following
error message:
	Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown

	550 <big-list;@mailusers>... Host unknown

My aliasfile didn't get expanded.  I have no idea where @mailusers
came from.

So, I repeat my original problem.  Using MH, how can I send a message
to a large list of addressees without everyone seeing that same large
list?

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z670, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   Alternate e-mail address: abrams@mitre.arpa

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z670, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   Alternate e-mail address: abrams@mitre.arpa

rayan@ai.toronto.EDU (Rayan Zachariassen) (01/21/88)

In MH 6.1, it was not possible to do what you want.  Craig Partridge sent
out mods that added another magic character to those understood in the
aliases file, which would inhibit expansion of the mail group definition.
I don't think this found its way into MH6.4 or 6.5 though; I recall having
to refit it.  So, the short answer is that you probably can't if you have a
stock MH.  It is *against* RFC822 to hide the internals of a mail group
that appears in a header.

mrose@gonzo.twg.COM (Marshall Rose) (01/21/88)

It might help if you reported the output of "comp -help",
so we could see the options that your MH was compiled with.
My guess is that you have the BERK option on, which is
a fast, but not particuarly clever 822 parser.

I know that without BERK, the trick you describe works fine.

/mtr

mrose@gonzo.twg.COM (Marshall Rose) (01/21/88)

Craig's modifications were probably never seen by Bug-MH.  In
any event, something like

	To: list: ;

is valid in an 822 message according to the syntax.

/mtr

rayan@ai.toronto.EDU (Rayan Zachariassen) (01/21/88)

# In any event, something like
#
# 	To: list: ;
#
# is valid in an 822 message according to the syntax.
#
# /mtr

Quite, what I said (or meant) was that the MTA is not allowed to change

 	To: list: foo, bar;
into
 	To: list:;

as someone had implied, but that this is up to the UA (i.e. MH) to do.

I can do ISO-speak too ;-)

rayan

goldberg@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Jeffrey Goldberg) (01/21/88)

In article <8801201759.AA02128@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> rayan@ai.toronto.EDU (Rayan Zachariassen) writes:
>In MH 6.1, it was not possible to do what you want.  Craig Partridge sent
>out mods that added another magic character to those understood in the
>aliases file, which would inhibit expansion of the mail group definition.
>I don't think this found its way into MH6.4 or 6.5 though; I recall having
>to refit it.  So, the short answer is that you probably can't if you have a
>stock MH.  It is *against* RFC822 to hide the internals of a mail group
>that appears in a header.

Could someone post the patch that does this?

I have stock 6.5 MH with a couple of minor fixes to some things
so slocal doesn't crash on a Sun, but otherwise, it's your
standard MH6.5.  And it does not to this trick.
--
Jeff Goldberg         Internet: goldberg@russell.stanford.edu

raj@limbo.uci.EDU (Richard Johnson) (01/22/88)

I tried sending this message directly the person involved but it didn't
quite make it.  Thus I seem to have no choice but to send it to this
bboard and hope that Jeffrey Goldberg sees it and responds.  (Hopefully
someone will recognize and fix the problem addressed in the included message
below.)

raj.

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 88 09:13:55 -0800
From: raj@ICS.UCI.EDU

I would be interested in the "minor fixes to some things so slocal doesn't
crash on a Sun" you mentioned in your recent posting to mh-users.  We've
been running the "final" version of MH (fixes on version 6.5; available from
UDEL currently and distributed from UCI by magtape) for quite some time and
I haven't seen the problems on Suns you seem to be talking about.  Could you
describe the problem and the fix for it?  Maybe I should include your fixes
into the standard MH distribution.

raj.

------- End of Forwarded Message