[comp.mail.mh] automatic mail reply

kevinc@bearcat.lim.tek.COM (Kevin Cosgrove 627-5212) (02/23/88)

John,

> I just sent mail to someone and got a (generic) reply immediately.
> When I did a finger on the person, I noticed they hadn't logged on
> since yesterday.
>
> She is on vacation (so I can't ask her how she did it).
>
> Does anyone know how to set up an account to automatically send a reply
> without having to log on?
>
> John L Bergquist
>
>       ->bard   ->c164-2ag
> ucbvax->zooey  ->c162-ba
>       ->franny ->c8-rd
>       ->seymour->c9d-af

It sounds like you have 'vacation' installed on your system.  What 'vacation'
does is send the mail on to the mail spool while sending notification of
the recipient's absence to the originator.  It's great for when one leaves
town and can't get to their mail right away.

If yours works like ours, then an entry of the following in your ~/.forward
file will work fine -- of course you'll have to change the "kevinc" to your
login name.

\kevinc, "|vacation kevinc"

If that doesn't work, you might try consulting the manual pages for 'mhook'
and 'vacation'.  I haven't had to resort the 'mhook' approach since
the 'vacation' scheme works so well for me.

	Kevin Cosgrove           	Tektronix, Inc.
	11K Plug-Ins Project Leader	PO Box 500, M/S 47-092
	LIM Product Test Engineering 	Beaverton, OR  97077
	kevinc@bearcat.LIM.TEK.COM	(503)-627-5212

Ed@MEAD.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Ed Schwalenberg) (02/24/88)

    Date: 22 Feb 88 12:08:20 PST (Mon)
    From: Kevin Cosgrove 627-5212 <kevinc@bearcat.lim.tek.com>

    John,

    > I just sent mail to someone and got a (generic) reply immediately.
    > When I did a finger on the person, I noticed they hadn't logged on
    > since yesterday.
    >
    > She is on vacation (so I can't ask her how she did it).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to set up an account to automatically send a reply
    > without having to log on?
    >
    > John L Bergquist
    >
    >       ->bard   ->c164-2ag
    > ucbvax->zooey  ->c162-ba
    >       ->franny ->c8-rd
    >       ->seymour->c9d-af

    It sounds like you have 'vacation' installed on your system.  What 'vacation'
    does is send the mail on to the mail spool while sending notification of
    the recipient's absence to the originator.  It's great for when one leaves
    town and can't get to their mail right away.

    If yours works like ours, then an entry of the following in your ~/.forward
    file will work fine -- of course you'll have to change the "kevinc" to your
    login name.

    \kevinc, "|vacation kevinc"

    If that doesn't work, you might try consulting the manual pages for 'mhook'
    and 'vacation'.  I haven't had to resort the 'mhook' approach since
    the 'vacation' scheme works so well for me.
interested in the information that J. Random Hacker is in Disney World
until Thursday, but you can call his mother at 1-800-555-1212.

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (02/24/88)

|Before doing this, of course, remove your name from mailing lists such
|as UNIX-WIZARDS.  A random contributor to mailing lists is not particularly
|interested in the information that J. Random Hacker is in Disney World
|until Thursday, but you can call his mother at 1-800-555-1212.

This is usually not practical due to the lead time of mailing lists.

A better way is to stick the mailing list address into your database of
people who have already mailed so no further replies will be generated.
How this is done is an exercise left to the reader.

Unfortunately this won't work if the mailing list doesn't rewrite the
header.

As a ex mailing list maintainer, I find such replies less upsetting
than bounced mail. There should be a special place in net hell for
people who go away without cancelling their mailing list
subscriptions.

Then again, I shouldn't be so harsh. There are some lists I haven't
heard a peep from in months and have no idea whether they are alive and
whether I'm still on. Even if I do get something from the list, usually
there isn't a moderator to see my cancel request.

	Ken

Douglis@sloth.Berkeley.EDU (Fred Douglis) (02/29/88)

Regarding having the "vacation" program sending replies to mailing lists, it's
quite easy to change it to look for the user's name in the "to:" or "cc:" fields
and thereby not reply to mail to mailing lists.  The latest version of vacation
at Berkeley (where I believe it was originally written) has such a modification.
Please don't contact me about sending a copy, but assuming it's public
domain, I'll try to have a copy posted to alt.sources with a cross-reference
to comp.mail.mh.

Fred Douglis		douglis@ginger.Berkeley.EDU	ucbvax!douglis