[comp.mail.mh] return receipt for email

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (05/04/88)

I've heard there is a header line that you can put in a mail message
that will have the destination machine send back confirmation that
your mail message made it.  However, I don't know how to do this or
even where to look it up.  Could some kind soul show me how do do this?
Thanks in advance!!

--
Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
uw-beaver!apcisea!hrsw2!bakken

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (05/09/88)

In article <72@hrsw2.UUCP> bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) writes:
$ I've heard there is a header line that you can put in a mail message
$ that will have the destination machine send back confirmation that
$ your mail message made it.  However, I don't know how to do this or
$ even where to look it up.  Could some kind soul show me how do do this?
$ Thanks in advance!!

Include a line with a "Return-Receipt-To:" field, like this:

--------
To: him
Subject: this and that
Return-Receipt-To: me
Cc: everyone_else

Hi there, you.  What's the latest?

--------
This may not work for uucp mail.  It works for Arpanet mail,
though.

"Just say NO to empty, dogmatic slogans coined by Nancy Reagan!"
Tom Reingold
PAPERNET:                      |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP-NET:       bellcore!tr
445 South St room 2L350        |SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work],
Morristown, NJ 07960-1910      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (05/10/88)

tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) wrote:
->Include a line with a "Return-Receipt-To:" field, like this:
->
->This may not work for uucp mail.  It works for Arpanet mail,
->though.

a) this isn't a mh issue

b) this header line is non-standard (as far as I can tell) and
currently only works if the destination is running sendmail.

# Henry Mensch  /  <henry@garp.mit.edu>  /  E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# {ames,cca,decvax,harvard,lotus,mit-eddie,rochester,soft21}!garp!henry

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (05/11/88)

> b) this header line is non-standard (as far as I can tell) and
> currently only works if the destination is running sendmail.

It works only if _all_ systems, from source to destination, are
running sendmail.  It is implemented in sendmail.

-- bd

igb@cs.bham.ac.uk (Ian G Batten <BattenIG>) (05/11/88)

In article <7237@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
> In article <72@hrsw2.UUCP> bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) writes:
> $ I've heard there is a header line that you can put in a mail message
> $ that will have the destination machine send back confirmation that

As I understand it this only works for _some_ (probably SMTP) mailers.
The "standard" ucb sendmail does indeed grok Return-Receipt-To:.  The
one that MMDF sites will run does not.  I am sure that there are other
mailers that do and others that don't.  I have not heard of anything
similar for UUCP; perhaps sending mail to remotesite!mysite!me as a cc
to remotesite!you would be a good idea.

--
ian

INTERNET: BattenIG%cs.bham.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu  JANET: BattenIG@uk.ac.bham.cs
BITNET: BattenIG%cs.bham.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet    UUCP: ...!mcvax!bhamcs!BattenIG

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (05/14/88)

> perhaps sending mail to remotesite!mysite!me as a cc
> to remotesite!you would be a good idea.

That usually works, but not always.  For example, suppose you send to
	neighbor!ihnp4!somewhere!far!away!remote!friend

and CC yourself as
	(path to remote)!away!far!somewhere!ihnp4!neighbor!home!me

The smart mailer on ihnp4 will look at the *end* of your CC line,
realize that it can get to "neighbor" quicker than the path you typed
on your CC line, and will send your CC back as

	neighbor!home!me

So you'll get the CC much quicker than your remote friend.  You'd
never know that it short-circuited the path unless you read the
mail headers quite scrupulously---and only if the headers were updated
at each system along the way.

In fairness to the original suggestion, though, the CC idea should
work unless you send it through one of these super-smart hubs.  In
fact, ihnp4 is the only system that I know of that does this short-
circuiting.  It does this because in most cases it actually can get
to the final destination quicker than by the path you've typed.

-- bd