[comp.mail.mh] Filtering obnoxious header lines in 'show'?

milne@ICS.UCI.EDU (Alastair Milne) (07/04/88)

>I estimate that 30% of my work time is spent watching "Received: ..."
>lines go by.  I would like to filter them out.  I try using the
>"showproc:" line in my .mh_profile to point to a shellscript with a
>simple call to "sed" and "more", but I get nothing on screen when I do
>this.  I imagine "sed" isn't seeing the input file.  Surely there's a
>good way to do this.  (We're running MH 6.3 here, I think, for some
>reason.)

    Quite simple, actually, and you don't need to resort to sed scripts to
    do it.

    Use mhl as your showproc (you can have it pipe through "more", "less" or
    whatever you want) and specify in your "mhlformat" what fields you want
    shown (and where) and what fields to ignore.  Here's something of mine as
    an example:

>> these lines, among many others, from .mh_profile
lproc: mhl
moreproc: less
showproc: mhl

   ("less" as the "moreproc" is just my preference.  If you don't have "less"
   don't worry about it).

>> the contents of Mail/mhl.format
width=80,length=23,overflowtext=,overflowoffset=5
ignores=msgid,message-id,bboard-id,munged,prevresent-from,prevresent-to,received,bb-posted,resent-date,prevresent-date,keywords,newsgroups,xref,nf-id,nf-from,return-path,resent-message-id,errors-to,via,apparently-to,real-annoyed-sender,references,xportal-user-id
MessageName:leftadjust,compwidth=9
Subject:leftadjust,compwidth=9,uppercase
Date:leftadjust,compwidth=9,overflowoffset=12
From:leftadjust,compwidth=9,overflowoffset=12
To:leftadjust,compwidth=9,overflowoffset=12
:----------------------------------------
:
body:nocomponent,overflowtext=,overflowoffset=0
:
:==================================================
Cc:leftadjust,compwidth=9,overflowoffset=12
Replied:leftadjust,compwidth=9
Forwarded:leftadjust,compwidth=9
Resent-To:leftadjust,compwidth=9
Subj:leftadjust,compwidth=9,uppercase
extras:nocomponent,leftadjust,compwidth=12

    As you can see from the "ignores=" list (second field down), you can avoid
    a great deal more irritating fields than just "received by:".  I'm afraid
    I couldn't fully explain what each of the specifications means, but they
    give me a nice, compact effect.  For instance, you may notice that the
    only fields printed before the message body are the message name, the
    subject, date, sender, and to whom (I may just be a cc).  Everything else
    is printed after the body.

    Your local MH documentation should have fuller descriptions of all this.

    Good luck,
    Alastair Milne

milne@ICS.UCI.EDU (Alastair Milne) (07/06/88)

Date:leftadjust,compwidth=9,overflowoffset=12