[comp.mail.mh] File locking in SVR3

dce@mips.COM (David Elliott) (08/22/88)

I've been porting MH to an SVR3-based system, and found that the
locking procedure doesn't work.  What happens is that since SVR3
doesn't have file locking, inc tries to create the file
/usr/mail/,LCK.a{pid}, which it can't do because it can't write
/usr/mail.

Has anyone tried to solve this problem with record locking or
some other means?  For the time being, I have made my /usr/mail
directory mode 777 (nobody gets mail on the machine right now
except for me), but this is unacceptable in the long run.

--
David Elliott		dce@mips.com  or  {ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!dce

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (08/22/88)

In article <2861@quacky.mips.COM> dce@mips.COM (David Elliott) writes:

>I've been porting MH to an SVR3-based system, and found that the
>locking procedure doesn't work.  What happens is that since SVR3
>doesn't have file locking, ...

SVR3 does have file locking, look at the man page for lockf() in
section 3.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com