[comp.mail.mh] keeping a record of all outgoing mail

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (08/19/88)

I'd like to keep a record of all mail I send in a draft folder. Is there
an easy way to convince MH *NOT* to prepend the filename with a comma
after the message gets sent?

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/19/88)

In article <5243@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
>I'd like to keep a record of all mail I send in a draft folder. Is there
>an easy way to convince MH *NOT* to prepend the filename with a comma
>after the message gets sent?

There's a better way to do this.  Put the line
	Fcc: +outbox
in your components file, and it'll automatically
file away outgoing messages there.  Or put it
in any folder you like by editing the Fcc: line.

--Ed

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/20/88)

In <644@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti):
# [...] Put the line
# 	Fcc: +outbox
# in your components file, and it'll automatically
# file away outgoing messages there.

I knew about this, but when somebody sent me mail that had one of these
little jewels in it, repl(1) put one in my return mail to him.  How do you
get the "Fcc:" to disappear in the send/post phase?  I don't see any good
reason to let others know how I file my outgoing mail, especially if its
going to make their MUA itch.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (08/24/88)

#
#I knew about this, but when somebody sent me mail that had one of these
#little jewels in it, repl(1) put one in my return mail to him.  How do you
#get the "Fcc:" to disappear in the send/post phase?  I don't see any good
#reason to let others know how I file my outgoing mail, especially if its
#going to make their MUA itch.

My MH correctly removes the Fcc: field in outgoing mail (even in the saved
copy in the folder!).
This is according to the documentation of MH 6.5.

Maybe it was a bug in an earlier version of MH?

--
#  Jos Vos                             #  Internet  jos@idca.tds.philips.nl  #
#  Philips TDS, Dept SSP               #                                     #

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (08/25/88)

MH removes Fcc: headers from mail that you send.

If you want to make it stop acting upon the Fcc: headers on incoming
mail, edit your replcomps file (get a copy from the MH lib directory
if necessary) and rip out the section dealing with Fcc:.

It seems that mail is filed by the send program AFTER being translated
into RFC822 form (get rid of Fcc:, add Date:, lose the -------- line
if any, add From:, etc).