[comp.mail.mh] Name not included in mail I send

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (08/31/88)

Thanks to Mike Iglesias, I now know that mh uses the SIGNATURE
variable, not the NAME variable.  Thanks.

Tom Reingold
PAPERNET:                      |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP-NET:       bellcore!tr
445 South St room 2L350        |SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work],
Morristown, NJ 07960-1910      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

khera@hamlet.cs.duke.edu (Vivek Khera) (08/31/88)

put a line in your .mh_profile like

Signature: Vick Khera

and it should include your name in the mail you send in the From: field.

				vick.
					khera@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27706
ARPA:	vk@cs.duke.edu
CSNET:	vk@duke
UUCP:	decvax!duke!vk

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (09/07/88)

Is there a way to automatically include a usenet style
signature file using the features of MH 6.6 as it exists now?

Granted I could hack something into the source but wouldn't
like to bastardize it that way..

Most people on this system use vi as their editor into MH.

Thanks for any ideas!

Len

jones@ingr.UUCP (Mark Jones) (09/08/88)

In article <10362@netsys.COM>, len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
> Is there a way to automatically include a usenet style
> signature file using the features of MH 6.6 as it exists now?
>
> Granted I could hack something into the source but wouldn't
> like to bastardize it that way..
>
> Most people on this system use vi as their editor into MH.
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Len

Your current signature is just fine, it occupies little space and
bandwidth, and does not have idiotic sayings that have ceased being
funny about 3000 postings ago.  Maybe be could propagate your version to
all the other machines

Mark Jones

This

	Is

		How

			Stupid

				Signatures

						Look

								Me

(NO, I will not do this again)

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (09/10/88)

Thanks for the really intelligent help..If I had wanted a smart assed
answer I would have asked for one.. I think you showed what you know as
it stands.

I am including something which others may profit from.. I don't think I am
the only one who could use this information.Reprinted w/o permission,but
thanks Ed..

To: len@netsys.com
Subject: Signature files & MH
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 88 11:16:41 EDT
From: Ed Anselmo <ed%clip.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu>

I figured out a way to automatically include a signature that works with
'comp' (but haven't gotten it to work with repl or forw).  Here's how it
goes:

My .mh_profile file:

-----------------
Draft-folder:	+draft
lproc:		/usr/local/bin/less
showproc:	/usr/local/lib/mh/mhl
moreproc:	/usr/local/bin/less
prompter-next:	/usr/ucb/vi
signature:	Ed Anselmo
comp:		-form /usr/ed/.signature
ali: 		-alias MailAliases
send: 		-alias MailAliases
whom: 		-alias MailAliases
repl: 		-fcc +outbox -editor /usr/ucb/vi -nocc all -filter repl.filter
bbc:		-user ed -rpop
-----------------

And the magic -form file:

-----------------
Fcc: +outbox

---
Ed Anselmo			internet: ed%clip.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu
University Hospital		uucp    : {uunet,ames,rutgers}!umix!clip!ed
University of Michigan		voice	: (313) 936-5570
-----------------

A couple of things:

You have to have a draft folder defined.
It doesn't work with repl or forw.
If you're curious, the repl.filter stuff automatically stuffs the replied to
message (with '> ' prepended to each line) into the reply.  (posted to
comp.mail.mh a few months back)

It took some messing around, but I finally have 1) file copies of all my
outgoing mail saved in the +outbox folder, and 2) a small, tasteful :-)
signature appended automatically to messages.

Regards,
---
Ed Anselmo			internet: ed%clip.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu
University Hospital		uucp    : {uunet,ames,rutgers}!umix!clip!ed
University of Michigan		voice	: (313) 936-5570

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/11/88)

If you want to to it that way, just create components, replcomps,
forwcomps and distcomps files with a signature at the bottom.

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (09/11/88)

In article <10362@netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>Is there a way to automatically include a usenet style
>signature file using the features of MH 6.6 as it exists now?

Just make private versions of files like 'components', 'replcomps' etc.
(these files are normally in the MH lib directory) with the signature
text appended.
If you put them in your private MH directory, they will be taken i.s.o.
the public ones in the MH lib directory.

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######