[comp.mail.mh] Using 'repl' in background

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/22/88)

I would like to be able to say something like

     repl < msgfile

and have the contents of 'msgfile' become the body of my reply, and
have the reply sent, without any further prompting.  This sounds so
easy I'm surprised I can't do it, but I did look through the manuals
and failed.  Can this be done?  How?  I did try various combinations of
switches to repl, but it always (a) either prompts for more input form
the terminal, or (b) aborts and leaves an unsent draft behind.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

kovar@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (09/23/88)

  How does one go about getting the latest and greatest version of MH
if one does not have access to FTP? Is there a mail server around for
it or an address I can send some money and a tape to?

-David Kovar

strike@convexs.uucp (Professor Fate) (09/23/88)

There is a switch for repl that gnumacs mh-e.el uses to avoid the
prompt. I think its called -nowhatnowproc. This flag allows the letter
to be sent as soon as the letter is finished, i.e. no What now? prompt.

Try that.

Finally then, I will read you your rights... You have the right to remain
silent. You are warned that anything you say can and will be taken down and
used as evidence against you.  Listen to this. Run.
					-The Clash "Know Your Rights"

m1edb00@fed.FRB.GOV (Eric D. Boutilier) (09/23/88)

In article <4052@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>I would like to be able to say something like
>
>     repl < msgfile

How about the following:
repl -noedit -nowhatnowproc ; cat msgfile >> $HOME/Mail/draft; send'

Put this in an alias or shell script and you're all set.

Caution: You might want to build in some safe-guard to
verify that you're responding to the right message. While
testing this, I had the wrong current message and sent
my test msgfile to someone by accident instead of myself.

--
Eric Boutilier
UUCP: uunet!fed!m1edb00

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/23/88)

In article <599@convex.UUCP> strike@convexs.UUCP writes:
>... -nowhatnowproc allows the letter
>to be sent as soon as the letter is finished, i.e. no What now? prompt.

I tried this, too, before I posted my query.  It just makes
repl exit without sending the draft.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (09/28/88)

/ hpindda:comp.mail.mh / dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) /  9:31 am  Sep 23, 1988 /

this has to be the most asked question about 'repl', maybe even MH!  How
I include it is to specify a format file to repl (by saying '-filt mhl.reply'
in my .mh_profile), then (in the mhl.reply file in my Mail directory) I
can put in 'body:nocomponent' to throw in the body of the message without
the list of how the message got to you (i thinks).  Any other formatting
stuff you want to do can be done in that file as well.  Marshall Rose had
a pretty comprehensive doc on MH called something catchy like "MH: How
to process 2000 messages a day and still get some real work done".  You
might want to get a copy of that- probably still available at NRTC...

				Hope it helped,
				   kevin

m1edb00@fed.FRB.GOV (Eric D. Boutilier) (10/01/88)

In article <5670001@hpindda.HP.COM> kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) writes:
>a pretty comprehensive doc on MH called something catchy like "MH: How
>to process 2000 messages a day and still get some real work done".  You
>might want to get a copy of that- probably still available at NRTC...

Sounds good; what's NRTC?
--
Eric Boutilier               UUCP: uunet!fed!eric

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (10/04/88)

/ hpindda:comp.mail.mh / m1edb00@fed.FRB.GOV (Eric D. Boutilier) /  7:45 am  Oct  1, 1988 /
> Sounds good; what's NRTC?

Northrop Research and Technology Center- not sure of the address.  The guy
that wrote it was Marshall Rose, now at The Wollongong Group, but I think
Northrop still has the docs...

					kev