[comp.mail.mh] Hopefull administrator asks dumb questions

jrmacmillan@lily.waterloo.edu (John R. MacMillan) (10/16/88)

After browsing the MH docs and using it here at school a bit, I
decided that MH was the mailer I'd been looking for all my life (well,
a while, anyway), and so I had to get it running at home...

Home is an AT&T UNIXpc, running a SysVish o/s, and currently using
smail 2.5 to do semi-intelligent address handling.

My question really is about what mts I should (or must) use.  Do I
have to use the standalone mts?  How does smail/pathalias fit in?  Or
can I use the sendmail interface somehow?

I've read the admin guide, but it wasn't much help.  I'm no sendmail
hack, but I'd love to get MH running at home.

Thanks!
--
John R. MacMillan			Sometimes you have to go
jrmacmillan@lily.waterloo.edu		for the two in the bush.

jrmacmillan@lily.waterloo.edu (John R. MacMillan) (10/16/88)

While I'm at it, what other configuration options am I likely to want?

Thanks again.
--

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/18/88)

In article <6338@watcgl.waterloo.edu> jrmacmillan@lily.waterloo.edu (John R. MacMillan) writes:
>After browsing the MH docs and using it here at school a bit, I
>decided that MH was the mailer I'd been looking for all my life (well,
>a while, anyway), and so I had to get it running at home...
>My question really is about what mts I should (or must) use.  Do I
>have to use the standalone mts?  How does smail/pathalias fit in?  Or
>can I use the sendmail interface somehow?

I have a XENIX 386 box with sendmail and smail 2.5 (the sendmail.cf
is the one distributed with smail) and MH6.5.  My MH6.5 uses sendmail
as its MTS, the choice which seemed most straightforward.

You can compile sendmail without the TCP support: under XENIX 386, I have
the following flags defined in sendmail/src/conf.h: USG, DBM, DEBUG,
SMTP, UGLYUUCP, and do not define NDBM, LOG, QUEUE, DAEMON, FLOCK,
SETPROCTITLE or WIZ.  I believe that DBM is a BSDism, so your 3B1
might have to forgo that.

As for MH6.5, I must admit that I archived the sources long ago to tape
and now have lost the tape!  However, this is the -help output from inc,
which should tell you what flags I chose:

version: MH 6.5 #47[UCI] (spdcc) of Tue Jun 30 23:57:23 EDT 1987
         [SBACKUP='"#"'] [SENDMTS]

NDIR was chosen because XENIX already includes the "new directory access"
routines.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu