[comp.mail.mh] learning mh

carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) (10/25/88)

    Is there some good documentation for mh?  The man pages don't
mention things that I have found and I cna't figure out exactly what
they are.  Either a reference to a book or a news archive would be
useful.

    A specific question is how do I tailor my headers.  I want to
always have a Fcc line in the header.  The components file seems to be
the place to start but I don't want to change it for everybody on the
system :-).  What is the user level way to do it.  I've tried a
components file in ~HOME, a .components , and the same in ~HOME/Mail.

--

Dana Carson
Westinghouse Electronic Systems Group  Mail Stop 1615

gregg@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Wonderly) (10/26/88)

From article <376@tron.UUCP>, by carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson):

>     A specific question is how do I tailor my headers.  I want to
> always have a Fcc line in the header.  The components file seems to be
> the place to start but I don't want to change it for everybody on the
> system :-).  What is the user level way to do it.  I've tried a
> components file in ~HOME, a .components , and the same in ~HOME/Mail.

While not completely obvious, it is true that each mh program looks for
a line in YOUR .mh_profile file when it starts up.  That line starts with
the program name followed by a colon.  For example, comp looks for the
line beginning with 'comp:'.  These lines contain default command line
arguments that you would like to give to a particular command.  I use
lines like

scan: -form scan.st
repl: -annotate -filter inbody -nocc me
next: -noheader
prev: -noheader
send: -msgid -verbose -alias aliases
show: -noheader
ali: -alias aliases

in my .profile.  One of the real benefits of this setup is that you can
copy repl (or comp) to a file by another name, e.g. thanks, and add the
line

thanks: -format thankscomp

to you .mh_profile and create the file 'thankscomp' in you mh directory.
It can contain whatever you want.  In this example it might just say

...header stuff as from replcomps...

Thanks...

...your signature...

or it might be as personal as you want.  You can do the same thing with
comp to allow you to use mail messages with precomposed To: lists.  There
are lots of other posibilities...

Gregg Wonderly
--
Gregg Wonderly
AT&T Bell Laboratories                   DOMAIN: gregg@ihlpb.att.com

wisner@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (10/26/88)

When composing mail MH will look for a file called "components" in
your Mail directory. Similarly, other commands look for replcomps,
forwcomps, etc.

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/26/88)

In article <8982@ihlpb.ATT.COM> gregg@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Wonderly) writes:
>One of the real benefits of this setup is that you can
>copy repl (or comp) to a file by another name, e.g. thanks, and add the
>line
>
>thanks: -format thankscomp

May I suggest that you use a symbolic link instead.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

ault@PAWL.RPI.EDU (James Ault, ault@itsgw.rpi.edu) (10/28/88)

>     Is there some good documentation for mh?  The man pages don't
> mention things that I have found and I cna't figure out exactly what
> they are.  Either a reference to a book or a news archive would be
> useful.

I also would like to know where I can get The MH User's Manual, Tutorial,
and a couple others that are mentioned at the bottom of the first
man page.  Are these included in the distribution?  Hardcopy only?
Is there TeX source available anywhere?

>     A specific question is how do I tailor my headers.  I want to
> always have a Fcc line in the header.  The components file seems to be
> the place to start but I don't want to change it for everybody on the
> system :-).  What is the user level way to do it.  I've tried a
> components file in ~HOME, a .components , and the same in ~HOME/Mail.

I am trying to do this too, and I made a separate copy of the components
file and I put it in ~/Mail, with a Fcc: line added.  This does not
seem to take effect when I repl or comp.  Do I need something in the
.mh_profile file?

    aka          : James Ault
    BITNet       : Jim_Ault@rpitsmts.bitnet
    Internet     : ault@itsgw.rpi.edu

cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) (11/06/88)

In article <8810272225.AA11990@pawl.rpi.edu> ault@PAWL.RPI.EDU (James Ault, ault@itsgw.rpi.edu) writes:
>I also would like to know where I can get The MH User's Manual, Tutorial,
>and a couple others that are mentioned at the bottom of the first
>man page.  Are these included in the distribution?  Hardcopy only?
>Is there TeX source available anywhere?

 TeX source to various MH papers is included in the distribution, in
subdirectory papers. Unfortunately, they apparently (according to a
local TeX wizard) use seriously out-of-date fonts, and I've never been
able to format any of them. If someone knows how to format them,
please let me/us know.

--
	"The hell I will!"	WHAK!	"Surpise, kid -- they retract!
	 Try that again and I'll kick you back. With my claws."