[comp.mail.mh] Careless Cc's to mailing lists

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (11/19/88)

There have been an annoying number of unintended Cc's lately, on several
redistribution lists to which I subscribe.  This occurs when a reader
replies to a message meaning only to send it to the sender, what s/he
fails to notice is that his/her overeager mailer has included the list's
address on the Cc: line.

MH users can prevent this by making the following changes to their
$HOME/.mh_profile:

Create or modify the Alternate-Mailboxes line such that it names each of
the redistribution lists you subscribe to, for example:

	Alternate-Mailboxes: mesard,bargain,connectionists

Create or modify the repl line to contain the option "-nocc me".  Note
that this tells the repl(1) command not to send carbon copies to you or
any of the addresses listed as your alternate mailboxes.  If you really
do want copies of your messages use the -fcc switch.  So the line might
look something like this:

	repl: -nocc me -fcc +outbox

Hope this helps. (Someone).

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();    "He sounds like a really weird guy.  What's
MESARD@BBN.COM                he doing for Thanksgiving?"

gregg@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Wonderly) (11/19/88)

From article <32507@bbn.COM>, by mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard):

> MH users can prevent this by making the following changes to their
> $HOME/.mh_profile:
>
> Create or modify the Alternate-Mailboxes line such that it names each of
> the redistribution lists you subscribe to, for example:
>
> 	Alternate-Mailboxes: mesard,bargain,connectionists

I prefer just to use '-nocc all'.  Short, sweet and to the point.  When
you want to reply to a message that is addressed to a group of individuals,
you can just use 'repl -nocc all' and you will get a To: line with just
the...  well, whatever you have specified in your repl-filter and components
file.

--
It isn't the DREAM that NASA's missing...  DOMAIN: gregg@ihlpb.att.com
It's a direction!                          UUCP:   att!ihlpb!gregg

jerryp@pacrat.npac.syr.EDU (Jerry Peek) (11/20/88)

The -query switch helps a lot, too.  For example, when I replied to
this message, here's what happened:
	Reply to local-mh-users-request@ics.uci.edu? n
	Reply to mh-users@uci.edu? y

I have my .mh_profile set this way:
	repl: -query -nocc me

--Jerry Peek, Northeast Parallel Architectures Center, Syracuse, NY
  jerryp@cmx.npac.syr.edu
  +1 315 443-1722

nagel@paris.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (11/20/88)

In article <8811192049.AA03206@pacman.npac.syr.edu>, jerryp@pacrat (Jerry Peek) writes:
|The -query switch helps a lot, too.  For example, when I replied to
|this message, here's what happened:
|	Reply to local-mh-users-request@ics.uci.edu? n
|	Reply to mh-users@uci.edu? y

It's interesting to see this usage, since I am currently working on
notifying all the appropriate people that the Internet name 'uci.edu',
while still valid through some kludging, will soon revert to the campus
and will no longer be valid for the ICS department.  Thus, all users
of the mh-users (and mh-workers) mailing list(s) should make sure
to change the destination address to mh-users@ics.uci.edu and not
mh-users@uci.edu (similarly for mh-workers).

Mark Nagel
UCI-ICS Support Group