[comp.mail.mh] Problem with mh-e

murthy@awamore.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) (04/12/89)

In article <WEENING.89Apr11140142@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU> weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) writes:
>I'm using the mh-e library with GNU Emacs 18.53 and MH 6.6.  Quite
>often, a message that I send with mh-e is not delivered.  It doesn't
>give me any indication that there has been an error, except that
>
>- if I try to exit Emacs, it asks "Subprocesses are executing; kill
>  them and exit?"
>
>- if I try to send another message with mh-e in the same session, it
>  tells me that the draft buffer still exists, and it contains the
>  text of the unsent message.

It happens, I think, because MH tries to verify the existence of the remote
host before it spools the letter into sendmail.  If the remote host is not
responding, or the nameserver is slow responding, MH can take a while,
or never return.  I don't know that this _is_ the problem - but if you start
suffixing your mail addresses with a local host, the problem seems to go
away.

Anybody out there who can this?  And dsuggest a possible fix?

	--chet--
	murthy@svax.cs.cornell.edu