[comp.mail.mh] Signature???? Headers????

rlc4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Luwenth the Lewd) (05/01/89)

	Two quick (I hope) questions...

	First... How do you tell MH to append your .signture file?  I
have one set up, as seen below, but MH does not seem to understand
that I want to have it included when I send something out...Is there
something really simple that I am not doing or ignorant of?

	Second... How do I tell show that I only want three things at
the header of a message, the From:, the Date:, and the Subject: ???
Oh, I think I just figured that last one out, but answer anyway, as I
am probably wrong...

	Thanks for the help.
		Ricky--
We, the unwilling,         |        Ricky Connell
led by the unknowing, are  | rlc4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
attempting the impossible, | NOTES_RCON@uordbv.cc.rochester.edu (Bitnet)
for the ungreatful.        | ricky@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu

khera@juliet.cs.duke.edu (Vick Khera) (05/01/89)

In article <1720@ur-cc.UUCP> rlc4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Luwenth the Lewd) writes:

>	First... How do you tell MH to append your .signture file?
>
>	Second... How do I tell show that I only want three things at
>the header of a message, the From:, the Date:, and the Subject: ???
>		Ricky--

well, both can be done using a components file. create a file in your mh
directory (usually ~/Mail) called components with something like the
following

-----<cut here>-----
cc:
Fcc:
Subject:
--------

								v.
-----<cut here>-----
then only the header lines that you want will be there (I like to have Fcc:
in mine, and your signature (mine is the "v.") will also be there.  if you
want this to work with repl also, create a file called replcomps based on
the replcomps in your system's mh lib directory. you can also find the
original components file there. hope this helps.

								v.

ARPA:	khera@cs.duke.edu		Department of Computer Science
CSNET:	khera@duke			Duke University
UUCP:	{mcnc,decvax}!duke!khera	Durham, NC 27706

ben@calvin.sybase.com (ben ullrich) (05/03/89)

In article <14364@duke.cs.duke.edu> khera@cs.duke.edu (Vick Khera) writes:
>In article <1720@ur-cc.UUCP> rlc4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Luwenth the Lewd) writes:
>>
>>	First... How do you tell MH to append your .signture file?
>>
>>	Second... How do I tell show that I only want three things at
>>the header of a message, the From:, the Date:, and the Subject: ???
>>		Ricky--
>
>well, both can be done using a components file.
> [...]

i'm afraid you answered the wrong question.
he wanted to tell ** show ** what he wanted to see, not comp.  components files
are used for composing a message, not for showing them.

to get show to show you only the components of a header that you want, you must
use an mhl file.  the default one for your system is usually in /usr/local/lib/
mh/mhl.format .  you can probably copy it and make it do what you like.
but, for your convenience, here is what you'll likely need:
-----<cut here>-----
width=80,overflowtext=,overflowoffset=0,leftadjust,compwidth=3
ignores=msgid,message-id,return-path,received
ignores=Relay-version,Posting-version,Date-received,Distribution
ignores=Reply-to,Path,References,Xref,Really-to,Apparently-to
From:leftadjust,compwidth=6,compress,addrfield
Date:leftadjust,compress,formatfield="%(pretty{text})"
Subject:compwidth=10,compress
:
body:nocomponent,overflowtext=,overflowoffset=0,width=256,noleftadjust
---------------------
put that in a file called ~/Mail/mhl.format , and you should get what you want.

the man page for mhl tells what all this gibberish means.  it's really
powerful, and is one of the strongest reasons i use mh.

...ben
----
ben ullrich	       consider my words disclaimed,if you consider them at all
sybase, inc.
emeryville, ca			     "skinheads are pinheads!" -- greg sullivan
+1 (415) 596 - 3654
ben@sybase.com			       {pyramid,pacbell,sun,lll-tis}!sybase!ben