[comp.mail.mh] Filing incoming mail and replies

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (05/17/89)

Here is something I would like to do:  File incoming mail, and replies,
close together.  Perhaps they could be filed as consecutive messages in
a folder.  So if an incoming message was number 10 in a folder, my
reply to it would be number 11.  This way I would be able to quickly
find my reply to a message.  I have MH set up to always generate an
"Fcc: +inbox" header in all replies, so it's just a question of sorting
the mailbox in a special way.

Has anybody found a way of doing this?
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

jdpeek@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU (Jerry Peek) (05/18/89)

In article <7230@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> Rahul Dhesi writes:
> Here is something I would like to do:  File incoming mail, and replies,
> close together.  Perhaps they could be filed as consecutive messages in
> a folder.  So if an incoming message was number 10 in a folder, my
> reply to it would be number 11.  This way I would be able to quickly
> find my reply to a message.  I have MH set up to always generate an
> "Fcc: +inbox" header in all replies, so it's just a question of sorting
> the mailbox in a special way.
>
> Has anybody found a way of doing this?

A few years back, I wrote a shell script called "mail.sort" that does this.
It's sort of slow.  But, the script understands what "Re:" is and ignores it
when sorting messages.  So, a message with the subject "Power Lunch at ConEd"
(sorry :-)) would be filed next to another message "Re: Power Lunch at ConEd".

If anybody wants a copy, send me mail.  The script needs csh (it uses arrays),
and it uses the SysV "cut" command (if you don't have SysV "cut", you could
use a PD version or hack it for BSD "colrm").

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu, jdpeek@suvm.bitnet
  +1 315 443-3995

marvit%hplpm@HPLABS.HP.COM (Peter Marvit) (05/19/89)

As I remember, some "enhancements" to sortm allowed sorting by Submaject
(major) and Date (minor).  These, plus a speedier sort algorithm, are thanks
to Van Jacobson.  I've added same to our local copy and am very pleased.
The sorting "ignores" the "Re:" and "Re: Re:...".

Context diffs available on request.  More than 5 requests will result in a
broadcast of the changes.

	-Peter