[comp.mail.mh] m_getfld.c Does anyone have one that doesn't use ^A?

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (07/07/89)

Does anyone have a version of m_getfld that does not use \001's as message
seperators?  I don't want to start another mailer-header war, but \001's
are not for me.  I would like to use the 'from_ user date' line as the
message seperator.

Also, completely upgrading to another version of mh is out. :-)

Has someone done this, or should I start writing?

Thanks,
	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM

gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) (07/10/89)

From article <3805@orca.WV.TEK.COM>, by jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles):
> Does anyone have a version of m_getfld that does not use \001's as message
> seperators?  I don't want to start another mailer-header war, but \001's
> are not for me.  I would like to use the 'from_ user date' line as the
> message seperator.

MH 6.5 (and later I guess, maybe before too) understands the UUCP From
line.  The function m_unknown() is called from scan() (~mh/uip/scansbr.c) to
discover if there is a UUCP From line there.

After all, MH only needs separators in messages it is inc()ing or
rcvstore()ing.  Your message is not clear really, do you mean elsewhere,
like mail format files?  The output of packf?

--
-----
gregg.g.wonderly@att.com   (AT&T bell laboratories)

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (07/11/89)

In article <1641@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) writes:
>From article <3805@orca.WV.TEK.COM>, by jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles):
>> Does anyone have a version of m_getfld that does not use \001's as message
>> seperators?  I don't want to start another mailer-header war, but \001's
>> are not for me.  I would like to use the 'from_ user date' line as the
>> message seperator.
>
>MH 6.5 (and later I guess, maybe before too) understands the UUCP From
>line.  The function m_unknown() is called from scan() (~mh/uip/scansbr.c) to
>discover if there is a UUCP From line there.
>
>After all, MH only needs separators in messages it is inc()ing or
>rcvstore()ing.  Your message is not clear really, do you mean elsewhere,
>like mail format files?  The output of packf?

I'm looking into 'inc'.  Actually, it's scansub.c, in an older version of
mh-mail.  What I would like to do is have the mailer set-up so that it
would not need to have ^A's seperating messages.  The version of 'inc' that
we're running here needs ^A's, else it thinks that all of the messages in
the spool file belong as one huge message.  (This is not good :-)

Any suggestions rather than tossing the mh-mail that we're using now?

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM