[comp.mail.mh] Extra From's and Date's

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/29/89)

I'm curious: why does spost (we run Berkeley systems here) insist on
prepending Date: and From: fields to my outgoing messages?  I think this is
extra-redundant information.  I mean, after half a dozen Date's and From's
and Received By's, who wants to see another one?  I've gone so far as to
edit the source and add a -nofrom switch.  If the denizens of MH would like
to know what I did to add this (a mere 4 or 5 lines to send.c and spost.c,
combined), I'd be happy to show 'em.

Am I the only one that's ever said, "Now why the heck do they throw that
in, and not give you a switch to turn it off?"
In favor of leaner mail messages,
-Mike Schwager
INTERNET:schwager@cs.uiuc.edu               |
UUCP:{uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager |
BITNET:schwager%cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd         |
University of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |

HNTERNET:schwager@cs.uiuc.edu      EF       |

tr@madeleine.ctt.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (11/29/89)

On the subject of "Extra From's and Date's", schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu
writes:

$
$ I'm curious: why does spost (we run Berkeley systems here) insist on
$ prepending Date: and From: fields to my outgoing messages?  I think this is
$ extra-redundant information.  I mean, after half a dozen Date's and From's
$ and Received By's, who wants to see another one?  I've gone so far as to
$ edit the source and add a -nofrom switch.  If the denizens of MH would like
$ to know what I did to add this (a mere 4 or 5 lines to send.c and spost.c,
$ combined), I'd be happy to show 'em.
$
$ Am I the only one that's ever said, "Now why the heck do they throw that
$ in, and not give you a switch to turn it off?"
$ In favor of leaner mail messages,
$ -Mike Schwager

I don't see why it's a problem.  In my .mh_profile, I have

	showproc: mhl

and mhl uses ~/Mail/mhl.format or <mhdir>/etc/mhl.format.  My
private copy is:

	overflowtext="***",overflowoffset=5,width=256,
	leftadjust,compwidth=10
	ignores=msgid,message-id,received,bboard-id,bb-posted,return-path,x-mailer
	extras:nocomponent
	:
	body:nocomponent,overflowtext=,overflowoffset=0,noleftadjust

so I never see that garbage.

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.com
Bellcore                       |UUCP:           bellcore!tr
444 Hoes La room 1H217         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854-4182      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/03/89)

Well, call me weird, but whenever I've gotten mail messages, I'm frequently
annoyed by all the fields.  Now that I'm a groovy MH user, I can see that I
no longer need worry about it.  However, I like to keep my outgoing
messages lean and mean.  Short, crisp, and to the point- no extra fluff.
Someone sent me mail and said that you want the extra From:'s and Date:'s
in there because mail administrators can then track down problems.  But,
the very first thing my machine does is slap a From: and Date: field on the
message.  So if the message gets anywhere at all, it's gonna have 'em.
Otherwise, any problem would certainly be on my local machine...
-Mike Schwager
INTERNET:schwager@cs.uiuc.edu               | "I find it hard to believe you
UUCP:{uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager |  	don't know the beauty you are
BITNET:schwager%cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd         |  But if you don't, let me be your
University of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   eyes and enter your darkness
                                               So you won't be afraid"
                                              -Lou Reed, _Velvet Underground_