[comp.mail.mh] who is acknowledged ?

chris@hpgnd.HP.COM (Christian LOTITO) (12/18/89)

Hello,

I'm using MH (via X10.4) and I often use the ' Return-Receipt-To'
entry in my messages; when there are multiple addressees how can
I match the different acknoledge I receive with the individuals
in the original distribution list ?

Thanx a lot for your help,

Chris Lotito / Grenoble Network Division Lab /

munck@chance.uucp (Robert Munck) (12/20/89)

In article <3060002@hpgnd.HP.COM> chris@hpgnd.HP.COM (Christian LOTITO) writes:
> I'm using MH (via X10.4) and I often use the 'Return-Receipt-To' entry
> ... when there are multiple addressees how can I match the (receipts)
> I receive with the individuals in the original distribution list ?

My mhook return receipt handler, invoked via .forward => slocal =>
.maildelivery, matches the receipt to the original message Fcc'd into
the outbox folder by matching Message-Id fields.  (btw, I had to use an
old version of post to get the message id in the Fcc copy.)  It then
constructs an ACK: ... line using From: and Reply-to: from the receipt
to identify the acknowledging host and appends it to the original
message.  With an occasional exception, I only get one receipt per host
even if that host is getting copies for several individuals.  I have to
match the ACK and To/Cc fields by eye to make sure everyone has
acknowledged.

The manual page for mhook talks about "built-in" variables named
$(sender), $(info), and $(reply-to), but I've never been able to get
anything that tried to use them to work.  Does anyone out there have a
.maildelivery setup that does?

                 -- Bob <Munck@MITRE.ORG>, linus!munck.UUCP
                 -- MS Z676, MITRE Corporation, McLean, VA 22120
                 -- 703/883-6688