[comp.mail.mh] slocal

haynes@decwrl.dec.com (Charles Haynes) (02/22/88)

From the mhook(1) man page:

                                                    The .mail-
     delivery file must be owned either by the user or by root,
     and must be writable only by the owner.

You just need to know where to look...

	-- Charles

gfink@iris.ucdavis.edu (George Fink) (11/18/89)

I am trying to use slocal to set up some automatic mail handling
routines.  One of the things I want to do is

Subject Key-word	| A	"rsh mint command"

For some reason, this action never gets called.  I thought initially
that the rsh was just timing out and getting killed, but I did
it in a c program and forked off the rsh command, but then it didn't
appear that I could get the program to run.  The only command that has
worked is 'echo' and its built into the shell.  Any solutions?

Also, they had these two lines at the bottom of the sample
.maildelivery file.

default -	> ? /usr/spool/mail/gfink
*	-	|	R	rcvalert

Are they necessary, or are they redundant?

Thanks for your help.

--George
George Fink			|  gfink@{clover,iris}.ucdavis.edu
University of California, Davis	|  ucbvax!ucdavis!{clover,iris}!gfink

trost@reed.bitnet (Bill Trost) (11/23/89)

gfink@clover.ucdavis.edu writes;
>Subject Key-word	| A	"rsh mint command"
>
>For some reason, this action never gets called.  I thought initially

I've spent some time working wth my, and I believe that the problem is
that PATH is not set.  What you need to do is explicitly put pathnames
on all your commands.  In your case, what you want is

subject	keyword	|	A	"/usr/ucb/rsh mint obscure_command with args"

>default -	> ? /usr/spool/mail/gfink
>*	-	|	R	rcvalert
>
>Are they necessary, or are they redundant?

You always want a default rule, so that your mail gets delivered. In
my .maildelivery I have the lines

default	-		|	A	/u/ss/trost/.bin/rcvstore
default -		>	A	/usr/spool/mail/trost

at the bottom.

The rcvalert, on the other hand, is probably bogus --- if I remember
correctly, there is no such program in the distribution, though there
is something called "rcvtty".  It is optional, and is sort of the
equivalent of "biff" (ooh ick).

cdc3092@wucs1.wustl.edu (Charles D Cranor) (11/28/89)

In article <13613@reed.UUCP> trost@reed.bitnet (Bill Trost) writes:
>>*	-	|	R	rcvalert

>The rcvalert, on the other hand, is probably bogus --- if I remember
>correctly, there is no such program in the distribution, though there
>is something called "rcvtty".  It is optional, and is sort of the
>equivalent of "biff" (ooh ick).

"rcvalert" is part of the MMDF MTS.  It is somewhat like comsat
except it prints messages in a different format which looks about
like:

<beep>
NEW: ( 1056)  Chuck Cranor    Re: Security hole

The "1056" is the size of the message.  Under MMDF you put:

*	-	pipe	R	/usr/local/rcvalert $(size)

in your ~/.maildelivery file.   I'm not sure if "slocal" can grok
"$(size)".   If anyone is interested, I have a modified "comsat"
system which used UDP sockets and can "biff" over the network in
either "rcvalert" format or "comsat" format.  It's .maildeivery line
looks like:

*	-	pipe	R 	/usr/local/rcvsat -s $(size) louie.udel.edu chuck@maria.wustl.edu

I'll give that stuff to anyone who wants it.

					Chuck

--
Chuck Cranor
E-Mail: chuck@maria.wustl.edu / cranor@udel.edu

trost@reed.bitnet (Bill Trost) (12/21/89)

The talk around here about slocal brings me to a question I've had for
a while.

I'm subscribed to the gwm-talk and gwm-bugs mailing lists.
Originally, the sole gateway for these lists was mirsa.inria.fr.
Then, athena.mit.edu was added.  Think.com soon followed, and now I
get one routed through a mailing list expander at columbo.inria.fr.  I
now have about 16 lines in my .maildelivery for the various mailing
lists.  Can I not do something like the following in my .maildelivery?

to	gwm-*@*		pipe	A	/usr/new/mh/lib/rcvstore

At this rate I probably am going to have to write a shell script in
place of slocal.