[comp.mail.mh] .signature

defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) (12/29/89)

I don't know where my previous posting went so I'll try again.

I understand what .signature files are supposed to do but I don't know how to
set one up  (I'm using MH and I also can't find any man pages to help me
through :-).  My questions are:

	. How do you set one up?
	. When does it get appended to the mail message?  At send time or do
	  you have to ask for it to be included?
	. I'm actually using Xmh with gnuvo as my editor.  How can I change my
	  configuration such that I get "name>" to proceed each line of a
	  reply instead of just a ">"?
	. How can I set this up so that I can use gnuvo for notes reponses
	  (and still have the "name>" feature).

Thanks in advance (and I hope this note doesn't dissappear like the last one).

Looking for a .signature (this one was manually entered!).

					Andrew DeFaria

jos@idca.tds.philips.nl (Jos Vos) (12/29/89)

> I understand what .signature files are supposed to do but I don't know how to
> set one up  (I'm using MH and I also can't find any man pages to help me
> through :-).  ....

Create appropriate personal "components", "replcomps" etc. files.
This for example is my (simple) components file:

  ---START-OF-FILE---
  --------
  --
  -- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
  -- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

Have fun with it.

--

jaap@neptune.UUCP (Jaap Vermeulen) (12/30/89)

defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) writes:

>I don't know where my previous posting went so I'll try again.

We got both postings...

>I understand what .signature files are supposed to do but I don't know how to
>set one up  (I'm using MH and I also can't find any man pages to help me
>through :-).  My questions are:

>	. How do you set one up?

It is just a text file; whatever is in there will get appended to your
message if the mailer/newsreader/newssystem support the ~/.signature

>	. When does it get appended to the mail message?  At send time or do
>	  you have to ask for it to be included?

This completely depends on what program uses the ~/.signature. This file is
not a standard (as far as I know). It is used by some programs, notably
'inews' and 'recmail'. Both will include it without asking. If you use the
'nn' newsreader and configured it that way, it will ask you to include the
~/.signature file. The point is that MH is not using the ~/.signature file.

>	. I'm actually using Xmh with gnuvo as my editor.  How can I change my
>	  configuration such that I get "name>" to proceed each line of a
>	  reply instead of just a ">"?

I don't know. I don't use Xmh.

>	. How can I set this up so that I can use gnuvo for notes reponses
>	  (and still have the "name>" feature).

Ditto.

>Thanks in advance (and I hope this note doesn't dissappear like the last one).

>Looking for a .signature (this one was manually entered!).

>					Andrew DeFaria

I use a shell script to include the ~/.signature message.
To do this, I made my initial editor for comp somthing like comp_vi (yes,
I'm a vi addict :-) in the ~/.mh_profile:

	comp: -editor comp_vi
	comp_vi-next: vi

In the shell script comp_vi I do all sorts of things, start up my editor,
and after leaving it I include the ~/.signature. The shell script is
somewhere in my standard search path. And I'm running MH 6.6.

Maybe there are easier methods, but I don't know if them.

Hope this helps,
--
"Jaaper for intimi"				+--------------------------+
						| The Jonathan Corporation |

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (01/02/90)

In article <8912291449.AA14946@ssp15.idca.tds.philips.nl> jos@idca.tds.philips.nl (Jos Vos) writes:

>Create appropriate personal "components", "replcomps" etc. files.
>This for example is my (simple) components file:

In the meantime I've discovered in my own files :-) that the reply-problem
is slightly different: there the signature is not included in the
"replcomps" file, but in the "replfilter" file (which I use specify
with the -filter flag of "repl").

For reasons of completeness, here's my (very simple) "replfilter" file:

---START-OF-REPLFILTER-FILE---
body:component="> "
:
:--
:-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
:-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######
---END-OF-REPLFILTER-FILE---