     From:  Peter Kocks <shelby!portia!jessica!kocks@decwrl.dec.COM>
     Date:  23 Feb 90 16:52:12 GMT
     Subject:  How to reply with ">" inserted

     I know this is a trivial question, but how do you reply to a message
     so that you get the ">" to the left of the person's mail?  You know,
     the way almost everybody replies to mail.

Dug this up from my old MH mail... dunno if it works, since personally
I find the ">" convention repulsive.  But enough people ask this question,
I knew saving it would be a Good Thing...

--Dave Curry

From: "Brandon S. Allbery" <metavax!oxtrap!hal!ncoast!allbery%umix.cc.umich.edu@ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: 2 Jul 88 23:05:58 GMT
Subject: Re: replies

Bah, humbug.  Try this on for size:

body:component="> ",compwidth=0,formatfield="%<(null)> %|%(putstr)%>"

To use a different insert character (I use "|") change the characters
pointed to by the carets (^).  (I don't know if the "compwidth=0" is
necessary, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- it took me 3 years to
figure out the incantation above, I'm not going to risk losing it!)