[comp.mail.mh] conversion from standard mail folders

garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) (02/27/90)

Does anyone have a utility which will convert standard mail (saved) files
to mh folders (I have a user who just started using mh, and doesn't want
to have to inc them into his ~/Mail/inbox and re-file them - there are too
many).  Anyway, obviously a shell script could be written to do this, but
I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.

Thanks in advance!

Gary Faulkner
National Center for Supercomputing Applications - University of Illinois
Internet: garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.

jromine@ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (02/28/90)

garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu writes:
>Does anyone have a utility which will convert standard mail (saved) files
>to mh folders

Do you have an MH manual?  If not, you can get a list of the options
available with any MH command by using "-help" (e.g., "inc -help").
Is there some reason not to use "inc +whateverfolder -file mbox"?
--
John Romine

khera@juliet.cs.duke.edu (Vick Khera) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb27.151340.19111@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu writes:
>Does anyone have a utility which will convert standard mail (saved) files
>to mh folders (I have a user who just started using mh, and doesn't want
>to have to inc them into his ~/Mail/inbox and re-file them - there are too
>many).  Anyway, obviously a shell script could be written to do this, but
>I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.
>
>Gary Faulkner

according to the second sentence in the man page for inc, if no "+folder"
argument to inc is supplied, then it uses +inbox.  so if you use the
command "inc +bar -file bar.mbox" then the mbox file bar.mbox will be
incorporated into the mh folder bar.  to do a whole bunch of these files
would just require one for loop written in your choice of shell.  there is
no re-inventing of a wheel going on here, just some reading of the man
page.

								v.
Vick Khera                              Department of Computer Science
ARPA:   khera@cs.duke.edu               Duke University
UUCP:   ..!{mcnc,decvax}!duke!khera     Durham, NC 27706

agj@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Stanfield) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb27.151340.19111@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu writes:
>Does anyone have a utility which will convert standard mail (saved) files
>to mh folders (I have a user who just started using mh, and doesn't want
>to have to inc them into his ~/Mail/inbox and re-file them - there are too
>many).  Anyway, obviously a shell script could be written to do this, but
>I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.

Try:

     inc -file save_file +folder

where save_file is the user's mail file and folder is the desired mh folder.

  Rob Stanfield                Internet: agj@mace.cc.purdue.edu
  BITNET: STANFIEL@PURCCVM     UUCP: {pur-ee,purdue}!mace.cc.purdue.edu!agj