[comp.mail.mh] Help needed setting up a POP server

jmd@ee.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) (03/06/90)

I've been trying to set up some PCs in our department so professors who are
"PC-bound" can have E-mail.  On the PC side, I'm using SU PCP-IP 3.104
(with MH 3.101).  As a pop server, we have a couple of choices: a Vax 11/780
(BSD 4.3), a Sun 3/60 (SunOS 4.0.3), or a Sparcstation I (4.0.3c).

I pulled popd out of mh-6.6, and compiled it on the Vax.  It compiled fine,
but I get a bus error and it dumps core when executing.

There was a popd program already on the 3/60.  I don't know where we got it
from, but the source says it implements the POP2 protocol as described in
RFC937.  When I run MH from the PC, I get a 'user:' prompt, and I type in a
valid userid.  It then reports 'Connection with pop server not created.'
Any other command says that I have to login with USER first.  But if I give
it the user command, it prompts for and accepts a login, then I get about a
page and a half of what looks like ethernet statistics (starting with
"connection closed by foreign host **** TASKING status ****"), and the
machine locks up.

I was hoping someone out there could offer some help before I have to start
diving into the code.  I don't know if it matters or not, but on both
machines I am running POP in "naive" mode (each PC user has a Unix login).
I've set up the pop login and edited the rc.local and services files
according to the documentation with mh-6.6.  Also, the rest of the SU
package (lpr, telnet, etc.) runs fine.

Please respond by email, and if there's enough interest I'll post a summary.

Jim

|  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,  |
| but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7 |
|-------------------------------------------------------|
|    Internet: jmd@ee.umr.edu     |  M S - D O S . . .  |
|    UUCP: ...uunet!umree!jmd     |    Just say "NO!"   |

jromine@ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (03/09/90)

In article <513@umrisca.usenet.umr.edu> jmd@ee.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) writes:
>I've been trying to set up some PCs in our department so professors who are
>"PC-bound" can have E-mail.  On the PC side, I'm using SU PCP-IP 3.104
>(with MH 3.101).  As a pop server, we have a couple of choices: a Vax 11/780
>(BSD 4.3), a Sun 3/60 (SunOS 4.0.3), or a Sparcstation I (4.0.3c).
>
>I pulled popd out of mh-6.6, and compiled it on the Vax.  It compiled fine,
>but I get a bus error and it dumps core when executing.

Have you installed all of MH?  I'm not sure if popd can run without the
rest of MH installed.

>There was a popd program already on the 3/60.
>...it implements the POP2 protocol as described in RFC937.

MH implements POP3 not POP2, so I think you're out of luck with that
program.  I'll be happy to work with you on this, as we're interested
in doing similar things here at UCI.  You can reach me via e-mail at
bug-mh@ics.uci.edu.

--
John Romine