[comp.mail.mh] Use Domain In Hostname Or Not?

aks@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Alan Stebbens , ks@hub.ucsb.EDU) (03/10/90)

vixie> This isn't about MH and these are the wrong places to
vixie> discuss it, but because you mentioned it and because I
vixie> don't think what you suggest will work, I'd like to follow
vixie> up.

I think you're wrong ;^) I think MH *can* do what is desired.
I'll "Cc" the mh-users list, though, so that what we're talking
about can be validated.

aks> This is doable, if you use MH: you could write a mhl-format
aks> file which would make the names look pretty only when they
aks> were "show"n or "scan"ed, but kept in their original format
aks> in the file, so that when you "repl"y, a different mhl-format
aks> could be used to ensure full hostnames for correctness.

vixie> mhl-formal lacks the ability, so far as I know, to only
vixie> print the domain and/or subdomain if it is different or
vixie> otherwise nonequivilent to the local domain.  We couldn't
vixie> very well have mhl-format strip *all* @domains, lest we get
vixie> mail from "smith" or even "John Smith <smith>" and have to
vixie> wonder which domain he came from.  One only wants to strip
vixie> out the @domain if it is "equivilent" to the mail reader's
vixie> domain -- which means that the local- parts mean the same
vixie> thing (refer to the same users, mail groups, etc).

The idea wasn't to strip *all* domains, only the domains for the
local hosts; we've configured sendmail to do just that, in both
directions, so that local domains are stripped on input, and added
on output.  However, we *never* strip host names, even on the
local system.  This keeps anyone's aliases from ever masking a
real user id.

If you didn't want to change sendmail, or couldn't, then my
original suggestion was that "mhl" could show only the mbox for
local hosts, and the proper address for non-local hosts.

The way to make MH do what I've suggested is in the mhl.format
file, you have a line like:

From:addrfield,formatfield="%<%1(eq(type{from}))%(mbox{from})%|%(proper{from})%>"

Which says if the type of the "From:" field address is 1 (which
means "local), then place the local mailbox name, otherwise place
the RFC822 proper address.  Here's where mhl format experts can
correct any mistakes [please!].

Note: This doesn't work if the MH [BERK] option has been enabled,
which disables RFC822 address parsing.  I guess the [BERK] option
assumes that sendmail does all of the address parsing for you,
since their sendmail.cf file seems to be a "standard" for
comparison.

Alan Stebbens        <aks@hub.ucsb.edu>             (805) 961-3221
     Center for Computational Sciences and Engineering (CCSE)
          University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
           3111 Engineering I, Santa Barbara, CA 93106

karlton@fudge.sgi.com (Phil Karlton) (03/10/90)

In article <9003091812.AA17719@somewhere.ucsb.edu> aks@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Alan Stebbens , ks@hub.ucsb.EDU) writes:
>Note: This doesn't work if the MH [BERK] option has been enabled,
>which disables RFC822 address parsing.  I guess the [BERK] option
>assumes that sendmail does all of the address parsing for you,
>since their sendmail.cf file seems to be a "standard" for
>comparison.

Is anybody working on fixing the [BERK] option or adding a variant that
would allow sendmail to do all of the parsing of messages as they pass
machine boundaries and still allow the user to do RFC822 parsing of
messages to make presentation a little more user friendly?

PK
--
Phil Karlton                            karlton@sgi.com
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems       415-335-1557

jromine@ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (03/10/90)

>Is anybody working on fixing the [BERK] option or adding a variant that
>would allow sendmail to do all of the parsing of messages as they pass
>machine boundaries and still allow the user to do RFC822 parsing of
>messages to make presentation a little more user friendly?

Well, your choices are BERK, DUMB, both and neither.  The workstation
on my desk is faster than a VAX-11/750, so I use neither. (The reason
for BERK was to make MH faster on slow CPUs.)  BERK disables MH's address
parsing; DUMB prevents MH from trying to rewrite addresses to their
"official" form.  Perhaps you want DUMB and not BERK?
--
John Romine