[comp.mail.mh] Forwarding a *Copy* of a message

ariel@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Ariel Rogson) (04/11/90)

I am a relatively novice user of the Rand MH mail system.  I have
some documentation on how to use it, but my knowledge is not
enough to answer this particular question.

I have accounts on a few different machines, and I would like to set
up one account to forward a copy of my mail to the other account.
Please note that I want a copy to stay at the original destination.
I read the manual pages on building a .forward file, but specifying
only the other destination forwards the message without any trace.
Also, obviously, I cannot include my original address or else I will
set up an infinite forwarding loop.  How do I instruct the computer
to keep a copy and forward another?

By the way, if the obvious the solution is obvious, please forgive me,
as I am a novice, and I don't even understand aliases.

Please mail your solutions to me, and I will post a summary of the
solutions if there is a large response.

Thanx in advance.

Ariel Rogson

ziegast@BACCHUS.ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) (04/12/90)

Ariel Rogson writes:
>Also, obviously, I cannot include my original address or else I will
>set up an infinite forwarding loop.  How do I instruct the computer
>to keep a copy and forward another?

In my .forward file I have:
	ziegast@snoopy.umd.edu
	"|rcvstore +inbox"

The first sends it on to another account.
The other pipes the mail message to rcvstore which incorperates the
message into +inbox. You can then use MH commands on that machine
to look at or process your mail (in inbox).
ziegast@eng.umd.edu - {uunet}!eng.umd.edu!ziegast - ziegast@umdd.bitnet
Eric W. Ziegast, University of Merryland, Open Sun Lab

ziegast@EGYPT.ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) (04/12/90)

Ariel Rogson writes:
>How do I instruct the computer to keep a copy and forward another?

I write:

John Romine writes to me:
>. . . rcvstore was not designed to be used without slocal, and this
>may or may not continue to work in any given future release.

Well, it may be wrong, but for now it works for me.
Another method to forward mail and have a local copy is having:

	\ziegast, ziegast@snoopy.umd.edu

in your .forward file.