[comp.mail.mh] Using Dist for a mailing list

jennifer@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jennifer Schlickbernd) (08/01/90)

I'd like to set up a simple mailing list using the dist command for mh.
The man pages mention that there can be a file named distcomp but show
no example of that file.  Could someone post or mail such an example?
I'm expecting from 10-30 people on the mailing list if that matters.
Thanks for any help.

--
Jennifer Schlickbernd (Lorini) Jet Propulsion Laboratory
jennifer@jato.jpl.nasa.gov or elroy!jato!jennifer@csvax.caltech.edu

jdpeek@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU (Jerry Peek) (08/01/90)

> The man pages mention that there can be a file named distcomp but show
> no example of that file.  Could someone post or mail such an example?
> I'm expecting from 10-30 people on the mailing list if that matters.

The dist command is for re-sending a single existing message.  A lot of
people use the "forw -digest" command instead.  It can even keep track of
volume and issue numbers -- very nice.

If you do want to use dist, you might want to make a special distcomps-type
file that has the mailing list addresses built into it.  For instance,
you could make a file named "distlist" that looks like this:

Put that file in your MH directory (which is usually named "Mail").
It automatically addresses your message to the people in the "resent-to"
line, and puts a copy in the folder named "listcopies".
It prompts you for a one-line note, too, which you can leave blank.

To distribute the current message to your list, you just type:
	% dist -form distlist
You can't type any text after the row of ------ when you use "dist".

If you want an empty distcomps file anyhow, it looks like this:

You can add "resent-fcc:", "resent-bcc:", and "resent-note:" lines to it.
Put the file in your MH directory.
The prompter(1) manual page has more information.

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu, JDPEEK@SUNRISE.BITNET        +1 315 443-3995