[comp.mail.mh] Problem with popd?

mst@mx.csun.edu (Michael Temkin) (07/27/90)

I am getting the following from inc when used with a popserver:

Incorporating new mail into inbox...

  12+ 07/26 To:mst@pop         Testing<<This is a test Mike. >>
inc: eof encountered in field ""
??Format error (message 13) in component 1
  13  07/26*To:

popd seems to think that I have 2 mail messages waiting when I only
have one.  Any ideas?

Mike.
Mike Temkin
mst@csun.edu	...!{sdcrdcf,hplabs,psivax,ttidca}!csun!mst
Cal. State U. Northridge, School of Engineering and Computer Science
Voice phone: (818) 885-3919

tpersky@suntory.dcrt.nih.gov (Ted Persky) (07/30/90)

---> Here is a copy of a similar bug, which I've forwarded
---> to the bug-reports address at Irvine.

Hello,

I'm running POP (RPOP and DPOP) on an IBM RT which runs Release 3 of
the Academic Operating System (BSD 4.3).  When I run the command,
"inc -notruncate" on the client machine, it correctly retrieves
the four messages in the maildrop but adds 40 characters to
the maildrop.  The additional chars are sets of

	\001\001\001\001, which is my mail delimiter (1 and 2)

from the mtstailor file.  There is one set of four \001's at both
the start and end of the maildrop, and each message is separated
from the next by two lines of four such chars.

The next time I run just "inc", it incorporates the same mail, but I get
the following message,

	inc: eof encountered in field ""
	??Format error (message 9) in component 1
	9  07/13*To:

By the way, if I run a "msgchk" in between the two "inc's", the
program says I have five msgs instead of four.

Sincerely,

	Ted Persky			phone: (301) 496-2963
	Building 12A, Room 2031		uucp: uunet!nih-csl!tpersky
	National Institutes of Health	Internet: tpersky@alw.nih.gov
	Bethesda, MD 20892

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (08/06/90)

In article <280@nih-csl.nih.gov> tpersky@suntory.dcrt.nih.gov (Ted Persky) writes:

   The next time I run just "inc", it incorporates the same mail, but I get
   the following message,

	   inc: eof encountered in field ""
	   ??Format error (message 9) in component 1
	   9  07/13*To:

The problem is the new pop daemon. Someone hacked it so that it only
understands UNIX-style mailboxes (i.e. Messages delimited by a line
starting "From "....) and no longer understands MMDF mailboxes, which
usually have a line of 4 Control-A's at the start and end of each mail
message. The result is that popd cannot split the mailbox into
individual messages and moans about format errors because of the
presence (or absence) of MMDF delimiters.

The mmdelim[12] fields in the mtstailor file are ignored by popd, so
correctly setting them won't help! This is somewhat annoying. Much
more irritating is how the old behaviour of popd was lost. (It used to
understand MMDF and not sendmail mailboxes.) It would have taken
little effort to fold in the updates for sendmail and provided a #ifdef
to select the appropriate mailbox style depending on the mailer that
was provided. After all, mhconfig knows what the mailer is and
arranges to have a suitable define - -DMMDFII or -DSENDMTS - set up in
the Makefiles.

		Jim

mst@mx.csun.edu (Michael Temkin) (08/07/90)

In article <JIM.90Aug6150649@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>In article <1990Jul27.155347.27001@csun.edu> mst@mx.csun.edu (Michael Temkin) writes:
>
>   I am getting the following from inc when used with a popserver:
>
>In article <280@nih-csl.nih.gov> tpersky@suntory.dcrt.nih.gov (Ted Persky) writes:
>
>   The next time I run just "inc", it incorporates the same mail, but I get
>   the following message,
>
>The problem is the new pop daemon.
>[stuff deleted]
>		Jim

Actually the mailboxes are in the correct format (4 Ctrl-A's), the problem
was in support/pop/popser.c (line 703).  The line reads something like:

	return (msgs - 1)

I traced the error (for 2+ days) and found that if I changed it to:

	return (msgs - 2)

that it word perfectly.

Mike.
--