	I've looked at the man pages and have figured out that

	  From:formatfield="%(putstr(friendly{text})) writes:",nocomponent

	will give me my introductory line. Now I'd like the body
	formatted as follows:

	  >  blah...
	  >  blah...
	  >  blah...

	I can't see how to have every line prefixed by some arbitrary
	string. I'd appreciate a solution to this and some more examples
	of mh-format and mhl in general.

Thanks for the help,
Al McPherson                     Member Holstein Aerobatic Club
Los Alamos National Laboratory   Advanced Graphics and Parallel Sytems
P.O. Box 1663  MEE-10  MS:K488   Los Alamos, NM   87545
bhagwan@agps.lanl.gov            (505) 667-8495

P.S.  There was a fellow a while back that said he was writing a book on
      MH for O'reilly. Still there? A suggestion: put lots of examples
      of these format strings in your book. I think many of us could use it.

scott@wiley.uucp (Scott Simpson) (08/31/90)

Here is how I got reply messages to be preceded by "> ".

	1. First, create a symbolic link called rrepl to repl in your path.
		ln -s `which repl` ~/bin/rrepl

	2. Add the line
		rrepl: -filter filter
	   to your .mh_profile.

	3. Create a file called "filter" in your mail directory
	   containing
		body:component="> "

Say "rrepl number" to reply to a message.
Scott Simpson    		TRW 			scott@coyote.trw.com

davy@itstd.sri.COM (08/31/90)

     From:  Allen McPherson <sdd.hp.com!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!jarthur!nntp-server.caltech.edu!mustang!topgun!bhagwan@ucsd.edu>
     Date:  30 Aug 90 21:28:56 GMT
     Subject:  Reply formatting - how to format body?

     	I've looked at the man pages and have figured out that

     	  From:formatfield="%(putstr(friendly{text})) writes:",nocomponent

     	will give me my introductory line. Now I'd like the body
     	formatted as follows:

     	  >  blah...
     	  >  blah...
     	  >  blah...

This seems to come up every so often.... so I saved this reply for just
such occasions....

--Dave

Date: 2 Jul 88 23:05:58 GMT
From: "Brandon S. Allbery" <metavax!oxtrap!hal!ncoast!allbery%umix.cc.umich.edu@ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject: Re: replies

As quoted from <26220@bbn.COM> by jwalsh@bbn.com (Jamie Walsh):
+---------------
| In article <8806231658.aa14871@ICS.UCI.EDU> goog@a.cs.okstate.EDU (GOOG ??) writes:
| >how do i get it to appear on the lines with nothing on them...so that there
| >is a solid body of >'s down the lefthand side of the page?
|
| Easy, DELETE the empty lines (and while you're at it, the previous
+---------------

Bah, humbug.  Try this on for size:

body:component="> ",compwidth=0,formatfield="%<(null)> %|%(putstr)%>"
		^				     ^

To use a different insert character (I use "|") change the characters
pointed to by the carets (^).  (I don't know if the "compwidth=0" is
necessary, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- it took me 3 years to
figure out the incantation above, I'm not going to risk losing it!)
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc

jdpeek@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU (Jerry Peek) (08/31/90)

> 	I've looked at the man pages and have figured out that
>
> 	  From:formatfield="%(putstr(friendly{text})) writes:",nocomponent
>
> 	will give me my introductory line. Now I'd like the body
> 	formatted as follows:
>
> 	  >  blah...
> 	  >  blah...
> 	  >  blah...
>
> 	I can't see how to have every line prefixed by some arbitrary
> 	string. I'd appreciate a solution to this and some more examples
> 	of mh-format and mhl in general.

In mhl, the body lines are all treated as components -- just like the
header.  The body component is named Body:.  Here's an example.  It shows
a simple mhl format file named 'mhl.1' that displays the subject and body.
I'll use it on your message:

	% cat mhl.1
	Subject:
	:
	Body:

	% show -form mhl.1

	Body	I need some help with MH. Specifically on formatting the body
	Body	of a message in a reply.
	Body
	Body	I've looked at the man pages and have figured out that
			...deleted...

If you want to tell mhl not to show a component name, use the "nocomponent"
variable.  This 'mhl.2' format file does that:

	$ cat mhl.2
	Subject:
	:
	Body:nocomponent

	$ show -form mhl.2

		I need some help with MH. Specifically on formatting the body
		of a message in a reply.

		I've looked at the man pages and have figured out that
			...deleted...

You can use a different name for any component.  Do that with the
'component' variable.  The 'mhl.3' format file below displays the 'Subject:'
component as 'Subj:' and the body component as '> '.  Get the idea?

	$ cat mhl.3
	Subject:component="Subj"
	:
	Body:nocomponent,component="> "

	$ show -form mhl.3
	Subj:  Reply formatting - how to format body?

	> 	I need some help with MH. Specifically on formatting the body
	> 	of a message in a reply.
	>
	> 	I've looked at the man pages and have figured out that
		...deleted...

I hope that helps.  BTW, the new MH 6.7 mh-format(5) man page has been
revised and expanded.  Even if you don't have 6.7, you should get that
man page!

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu, JDPEEK@SUNRISE.BITNET        +1 315 443-3995

> P.S.  There was a fellow a while back that said he was writing a book on
>       MH for O'reilly. Still there? A suggestion: put lots of examples
>       of these format strings in your book. I think many of us could use it.

That's me.  The book devotes a whole chapter, plus parts of other
chapters, to this topic.  I think MH formatting is *very* useful --
not only for displaying and scanning messages, but also for extracting
information from messages (in shell programming, for instance).
They're aiming to release the book in November.

kevinc@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Kevin E Cosgrove) (09/01/90)

In article <9008310120.AA17537@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jdpeek@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU (Jerry Peek) writes:
>	$ cat mhl.3
>	Subject:component="Subj"
>	:
>	Body:nocomponent,component="> "
>
>	$ show -form mhl.3
>	Subj:  Reply formatting - how to format body?
>
>	> 	I need some help with MH. Specifically on formatting the body
>	> 	of a message in a reply.
>	>
>	> 	I've looked at the man pages and have figured out that
>		...deleted...

The heart of everyone's suggestions on this topic is essentially the
same:  use an mhl form file.  I've tried the form files as advertised,
and with a little tweaking of my own, and the closest I can get is that
the first line of the body is prefixed with the component characters,

Does anyone know why I'd only get one line of my body modified
instead of all of them?

Thanks...

        Kevin Cosgrove          bucket.UUCP!cathouse!kevinc
        OSU EE Senior           tektronix!tessi!bucket!cathouse!kevinc
        (503)-297-6067          kevinc%cathouse.uucp@bucket.UUCP