[comp.mail.mh] mh and security

xiaohua@bnlux0.bnl.gov (Xiao Hua) (09/21/90)

Dear netters,

I just started using mh and found one thing is disturbing. After inc'ing all
incoming mail into inbox, I noticed that all the messages names by integer
numbers are readable by the whole world.  Is this supposed to happen ?
Any pointers are appreciated.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////
/////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

marquard@itasca..aix.kingston.ibm.com (Dave Marquardt) (09/21/90)

In article <2146@bnlux0.bnl.gov> xiaohua@bnlux0.bnl.gov (Xiao Hua) writes:
>I just started using mh and found one thing is disturbing. After inc'ing all
>incoming mail into inbox, I noticed that all the messages names by integer
>numbers are readable by the whole world.  Is this supposed to happen ?
>Any pointers are appreciated.

Try setting Msg-Protect: 600 in your $HOME/.mh_profile.  Apparently
your system is defaulting to Msg-Protect: 644 or something like that.

-Dave

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (09/24/90)

xiaohua@bnlux0.bnl.gov (Xiao Hua) writes:

>I just started using mh and found one thing is disturbing. After inc'ing all
>incoming mail into inbox, I noticed that all the messages names by integer
>numbers are readable by the whole world.  Is this supposed to happen ?

The actual message files are created with permissions based on your
umask. I think you will find, though, that your ~/Mail directory was
created with mode 700, which prevents anyone else from getting at those
files.

--
    Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
        {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

      The only thing open about OSF is their mouth.  --Chuck Musciano

ben@shalom.sybase.com (ben ullrich) (09/24/90)

use	Folder-Protect: 700	in your .mh_profile to give your folders
permissions such that only you can examine the files within them.

use	Msg-Protect: 600	to give your files the same type of
protection.

i bet these will only work on folders and messages created/used after you add
these lines, so you may want to run chmod on the files/folders, to set their
permissions on the spot.  use the corresponding octal number from the two
above: 700 for folders, 600 for files.

..ben
----
ben ullrich			only i do the talking here -- not my employer.
sybase, inc., emeryville, ca		``jail neil bush, not the homeless.''
ben@sybase.com			       {pyramid,pacbell,sun,lll-tis}!sybase!ben