[comp.mail.mh] help with "comp" and "send -push"

jhon@menkar.gsfc.nasa.gov (Honce. Jhon) (10/10/90)

I added "send: -push" to my profile to speed up my interaction with
mh.  This is good and works as I expected, except for one little
problem.  The little problem is comp gives me a message about the draft
existing from the last message. I know that send will rename the draft
as soon as it's finished with it.

But, is there anyway for me to have comp generate a unique draft file
every time it is invoked?  This way I can write several letters back to
back and let send worry about delivery on it's own time.

Jhon Honce

version: MH 6.7 #4[UCI] (dubhe) of Sat Apr 14 15:23:54 EDT 1990
         [TYPESIG=void] [ZONEINFO] [SENDMTS] [SMTP]
-- jhon

jhon@dubhe.gsfc.nasa.gov

mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (10/10/90)

On 9 Oct 90 22:32:18 GMT, jhon@menkar.gsfc.nasa.gov (Honce. Jhon) said:

Jhon> But, is there anyway for me to have comp generate a unique draft file
Jhon> every time it is invoked?  This way I can write several letters back to
Jhon> back and let send worry about delivery on it's own time.

Jhon> Jhon Honce
Jhon> jhon@dubhe.gsfc.nasa.gov

Add to your .mh_profile

Draft-Folder: drafts

this will give you a folder of draft messages rather than a single file.

Enjoy!
--
Mark D. Baushke
mdb@ESD.3Com.COM

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (10/10/90)

In article <4111@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> jhon@menkar.gsfc.nasa.gov (Honce.
Jhon) writes:

$
$ I added "send: -push" to my profile to speed up my interaction with
$ mh.  This is good and works as I expected, except for one little
$ problem.  The little problem is comp gives me a message about the draft
$ existing from the last message. I know that send will rename the draft
$ as soon as it's finished with it.
$
$ But, is there anyway for me to have comp generate a unique draft file
$ every time it is invoked?  This way I can write several letters back to
$ back and let send worry about delivery on it's own time.

In your .mh_profile, put

	Draft-Folder: drafts

and it will create a draft with a unique name in Mail/drafts.  Once you
send it, it is slated for being overwritten.  If you compose a lot of
messages and don't send them, they will collect.  This is a small
drawback.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

jad@hpcndnm.cnd.hp.com (John Dilley) (10/10/90)

In article <4111@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> jhon@menkar.gsfc.nasa.gov (Honce. Jhon) writes:

>I added "send: -push" to my profile to speed up my interaction with
>mh.  This is good and works as I expected, except for one little
>problem.  The little problem is comp gives me a message about the draft
>existing from the last message. I know that send will rename the draft
>as soon as it's finished with it.

>But, is there anyway for me to have comp generate a unique draft file
>every time it is invoked?  This way I can write several letters back to
>back and let send worry about delivery on it's own time.

	If you use a draftfolder you can have many outstanding drafts at
any one time.  Specifically, if you have just pushed a message (and the
draft has not been renamed to #draft yet), your next message will be
created with a different message number in your +drafts folder.  It's a
very nice facility available in non-ancient versions of MH.  To use it I
have added the following line to my .mh_profile:

Draft-Folder:	+drafts

Good luck,

                          --      jad      --
			      John Dilley
			    Hewlett-Packard
                       Colorado Networks Division
UX-mail:      		     jad@cnd.hp.com
Phone:                       (303) 229-2787
--
This is not an official statement of Hewlett-Packard Corp, and does not
necessarily reflect the views of HP.  The information above is provided