[comp.mail.mh] installing mh 6.7 on a Sparc

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (10/14/90)

Hello all,

I've been attempting to install mh 6.7 on a Sparcstation but
have had only partial success.  The build succeeds without
any problem but "comp" (or more precisely, post) refuses to
send out posts.  The error that I receive is as follows:

>nada% comp
>
>What now? send
>post: problem initializing server; [BHST] no servers available
>send: message not delivered to anyone
>
>What now?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about solving
this problem?  I tried setting mts to sendmail and to sendmail/smtp.
The sendmail/smtp version generates the above message and the
sendmail version just hangs after I type send.

I built mh using the following MH file:

bin /p/bin/mh
etc /p/lib/mh
bboards off
bbdelivery off
debug off
pop off
ranlib  on
mail    mailbox
mailgroup   off
mandir  /p/man
manuals standard
chown   /etc/chown
mts sendmail/smtp
editor vi
mf  off
remove  rm -f
options ATHENA ATZ BIND ISI MHE DBM DUMB
options BSD42 BSD43 RPATHS SENDMAILBUG
options SUN40 NFS FOLDPROT='"0700"'
options OVERHEAD WHATNOW MHRC
ldoptions -s
ldoptlibs -ldbm
curses -lcurses -ltermcap
sharedlib on
slibdir /p/lib
~
Thanks for any assistance.

I have used an MH file very similar to the above to successfully
build MH on an HP 9000 running HPUX 7.0.
--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

mst@mx.csun.edu (Michael Temkin) (10/21/90)

In article <962@nada.cs.utexas.edu> garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) writes:
>Hello all,
>
>I've been attempting to install mh 6.7 on a Sparcstation but
>have had only partial success.
>>
>>post: problem initializing server; [BHST] no servers available
>>send: message not delivered to anyone
>>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about solving
>this problem?

I had this exact same problem on a uVAX running ULTRIX.  The problem
was not the machine or the os, it was because I decided NOT to run
a sendamil daemon.  It looks like mh wants to talk to the sendmail
daemon and can't find one.  Put the following line in you mtstailor
file (probably /p/lib/mh/mtstailor):

servers:	machine.running.sendmail.daemon

in my case the line looks like this (ms.secs.csun.edu runs the sendmail
daemon):

servers:	ms.secs.csun.edu

I configured my system to use sendmail/smtp.  This should solve your problem.

Mike.
-----
--
Mike Temkin