[comp.mail.mh] Is there a size limit on mail?

pevans@umd5.umd.edu (Peter Evans) (10/23/90)

I want to mail some text files which are about 130 K -- is there a
size limit on mail messages.  Most of the addresses are ....edu or
....com but there are a couple of ....uucp.

Thanks,
Peter Evans

marvit@HPLPM.HPL.HP.COM (Peter Marvit) (10/26/90)

> I want to mail some text files which are about 130 K -- is there a
> size limit on mail messages.  Most of the addresses are ....edu or
> ....com but there are a couple of ....uucp.

As a general rule, use 50K per message as a comfortable maximum --
especially for uucp addresses.  Less would be better (< 30K) but not
always possible.

"Local" mail (within an organization), via sendmail can be very large,
but yuou must count on the *lowest* common denominator for systems you
can't personally verify.

These statements are not from a theoretcialy viewpoint but from the
practical experience of moderating a large mailing list and attempting to
distribute software via e-mail.

	-Peter "Think it over" Marvit

: Peter Marvit   Hewlett-Packard Labs in Palo Alto, CA   (415) 857-6646    :
: Internet: <marvit@hplabs.hpl.hp.com>  uucp: {any backbone}!hplabs!marvit :