[comp.mail.mh] Silly MH questions

dick@cca.ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) (10/30/90)

Why would I want to use MH vs Elm or Mail or Mush?

Do novices find it easy to use?

Would MH support a single "host" for thousands of users on
hundreds or thousands of different machines?

Does MH make mail to Macs and IBM PCs any easier?

Are there archives where I could get MH or related material?

Dick

Dick Karpinski  Minicomputer Manager, UCSF Information Technology Services
Domain: dick@cca.ucsf.edu  FAX: (415) 476-9537 (415) 476-4529 (11-7)
BITNET: dick@ucsfcca or dick@ucsfvm            (415) 658-6803 (Home)
USPS:  U-76 UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 (415) 658-3797 (ans)

wjwhite@well.sf.ca.us (William J. White) (11/01/90)

We have MH available (so I've discovered) on the Unix system I subscribe to.
This system even has a local newsgroup devoted to 'mh'.  But its articles
presume a working knowledge of 'mh'.

I'm interested in 'mh' since it appears to enable me to batch messages, ad-
dresses, etc. unlike the UNIX mail facility.

Can someone provide/suggest an 'mh' bibliography for the complete novice?

-Bill White
wjwhite@well.sf.ca.us

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (11/13/90)

$
$ Do novices find it easy to use?
$
$ Would MH support a single "host" for thousands of users on
$ hundreds or thousands of different machines?
$
$ Does MH make mail to Macs and IBM PCs any easier?
$
$ Are there archives where I could get MH or related material?

The small number of responses has surprised me.  Anyway, the reason I
think MH is great is that it is at the shell level rather than being a
monolithic program.  I like to do things like "show | lpr" which will
print the current mail message.  In monolithic programs, you have to
save to a file, exit the program, print the file, and then maybe
re-enter the program.  Or with Elm you do lots of setup to bind the
print key to do exactly what you want.  Which is fine if you like to
configure before you can use the program as well as you use everything
else you can already pipe into lpr.  But it's not when your favorite
printer is down.  Then you have to reconfigure your program.  Whatever
happened to the Unix philosphy??

I think MH is as easy to learn as all other mail user agents.  It also
seems to be the most configurable once you choose to delve into it.
But using it raw gives you a plenty-powerful set of tools.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

mmorse@NSF.GOV (Michael Morse) (11/14/90)

> Whatever
> happened to the Unix philosphy??

It got lost.  It should have been clear from the start that it had
limited usefulness, in that only a small subset of the general
population had the conceptual and technical expertise to appreciate it
and use it.  Now that *everybody* (from my 5-year-old daughter to my
72-year-old mother) can not only use a computer, but probably owns
one, a philosophy with wider applicability was required.  Just as
troff gave way to WordPerfect, mh will give way to GUI-based mail
systems, despite the fact that the replacements offer less features,
less power, less configurability, less "elegance".  The difference is
that they can be used by normal people.  Sigh.

--Mike