[comp.mail.mh] DVI files

da@cs.brown.edu (David Ascher) (11/13/90)

I hope this is the right newsgroup.

I'm trying to look at the papers that come in the MH-6.6 distribution,
but I'm having a hard time getting AmsTeX to run, etc.  Would it be
posible for someone to send me the dvi files for the papers?

Also, while I'm at it: does anyone know anything about getting mh to
run with the Kerberos authentication system?  the POP-3 protocol?

Any info will be appreciated.

thanks.
--david ascher
------------
da@cs.brown.edu (Internet)  uunet!brunix!da  (uucp)  da@browncs.bitnet (bitnet)
Box 3209, Brown University, Providence RI 02912 -- (1) (401) 863-4348
--
------------

turner@smart.sps.mot.com (Robert Turner) (11/14/90)

In article <DA.90Nov13105105@cslab5a.cs.brown.edu> da@cs.brown.edu (David Ascher) writes:
>I'm trying to look at the papers that come in the MH-6.6 distribution,
>but I'm having a hard time getting AmsTeX to run, etc.  Would it be
>posible for someone to send me the dvi files for the papers?

I could not get the papers printed so I sent the University of California,
Irvine $75 for a tape and the documentation.  What I got back was a tape
and hardcopy of the man pages, but no hardcopy of the papers.  I have sent a
letter requesting the papers, but as I sent the letter less than 10 days ago, I
don't expect to here from them for another week or so.

If anyone is willing to help, I've got the TeX files, but can't get them out
to the postscript printer.

Robert

--
Robert Turner (602) 897-5441 Semiconductor Systems Design Technology, Motorola
turner@dover.sps.mot.com   OR   ...!uunet!dover!turner

ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) (11/14/90)

David Ascher writes:
>I hope this is the right newsgroup.
>
>I'm trying to look at the papers that come in the MH-6.6 distribution,
>but I'm having a hard time getting AmsTeX to run, etc.  Would it be
>posible for someone to send me the dvi files for the papers?

If you can print postscript files, get the postscript copies of these
files from ics.uci.edu.

	% ftp ics.uci.edu
	Name: ftp
	Password: anything
	ftp> cd mh/papers-ps
	ftp> bin
	ftp> mget *

>Also, while I'm at it: does anyone know anything about getting mh to
>run with the Kerberos authentication system?  the POP-3 protocol?

From the installation manual "...mh-6.7/READ-ME":

          POPSERVICE
               The port name the MH POP will use.  For historical
               reasons, this defaults to "pop".  The MH POP pro-
               tocol (POP version 3) has finally been assigned
               its own port number (110), which differs from the
               original POP (version 1) port number (109).  To
               have MH POP use the new assigned port number, set
               POPSERVICE='"pop3"', and be sure that this service
               name is listed in your /etc/services file on both
               POP client and server hosts as "110/tcp".

I don't know if it works though, we don't use MH's POP service.

As for Kerberos, I haven't seen anything yet, but it would be nice
to know if someone out there is working on it.
Eric W. Ziegast, University of Merryland, Engineering Computing Services
ziegast@eng.umd.edu - Eric@[301.405.3689]

David Ascher writes:
>I hope this is the right newsgroup.
>
>I'm trying to look at the papers that come in the MH-6.6 distribution,
>but I'm having a hard time getting AmsTeX to run, etc.  Would it be
>possible for someone to send me the dvi files for the papers?

John went over that.  I was going to say something, but my message bounced.

>Also, while I'm at it: does anyone know anything about getting mh to
>run with the Kerberos authentication system?  the POP-3 protocol?

>From the installation manual "...mh-6.7/READ-ME":

          POPSERVICE
               The port name the MH POP will use.  For historical
               reasons, this defaults to "pop".  The MH POP pro-
               tocol (POP version 3) has finally been assigned
               its own port number (110), which differs from the
               original POP (version 1) port number (109).  To
               have MH POP use the new assigned port number, set
               POPSERVICE='"pop3"', and be sure that this service
               name is listed in your /etc/services file on both
               POP client and server hosts as "110/tcp".

I don't know if it works though, we don't use MH's POP service here.

As for Kerberos, I haven't seen anything yet, but it would be nice
to know if someone out there is anyone working on it.  Some applications
which could probably benefit are bboards (better group security) and
maybe POP (automatic authoization with a correct Kerberos ticket).
Combined with zephyr (new command rcvzephyr or an improved rcvtty, or
maybe a zmsgchk which works like an improved biff) and hesiod (?better
alias support?), Kerberos could add some neat features (meant both ways ;-)
to MH.

bgg@pta.oz.au (Ben Golding) (11/14/90)

In article <DA.90Nov13105105@cslab5a.cs.brown.edu> da@cs.brown.edu (David Ascher) writes:
>Also, while I'm at it: does anyone know anything about getting mh to
>run with the Kerberos authentication system?  the POP-3 protocol?

I don't know about Kerberos but we have MH 6.7 built here with POP
enabled and it works fine.  Came up first time.  We have a couple of
people on Macs who use Techmail (from MIT) to access their mail.  We
tried using POPmail but it doesn't use the POP protocol(!).  Instead it
uses some bastardised cross between SMTP and POP which is incompatible
with both.

Jim Reid <jim@computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk> mentioned that he had
some patches for POP support with MMDF-style mailboxes and to fix a bug
with where the POP server would miss the last message in the mailbox.
We don't run MMDF here so I don't whether his fixes worked; the last
message bug was already fixed (i.e. wasn't present) in our 6.7 source.

Our MH config is:

version: MH 6.7 #7[UCI] (pta) of Mon Oct 15 12:14:46 EST 1990
         [MHE] [MHRC] [OVERHEAD] [RPATHS] [RPOP] [SBACKUP='"#"']
         [TYPESIG='int'] [UK] [WHATNOW] [SENDMTS] [SMTP] [POP] [BPOP]
         [NNTP]

	Ben.

turner@smart.sps.mot.com (Robert Turner) (11/15/90)

In article <9011132151.AA07683@london.eng.umd.edu> ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) writes:
>David Ascher writes:
>If you can print postscript files, get the postscript copies of these
>files from ics.uci.edu.
>
>	% ftp ics.uci.edu
>	Name: ftp
>	Password: anything
>	ftp> cd mh/papers-ps
>	ftp> bin
>	ftp> mget *

I did exactly this and just as the README file states, the postscript files
don't seem to work with Apple LaserWriters.  The error message I get is:
   Your printer job (bboards.ps)
   completed successfully

   Messages from output filter:
   psif: spanky:turner lw start - Wed Nov 14 12:42:07 1990
   %%[ Error: VMerror; OffendingCommand: array ]%%
   %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
   psif: end - Wed Nov 14 12:44:43 1990

Any other suggestions?

Robert