[comp.mail.mh] server search list

teexarb@ioe.lon.ac.uk (ADRIAN BARKER) (11/20/90)

In the 'Admin' document for mh, it states that for SMTP delivery you can
specify a search list, so if the main mailserver is down, others can be
tried. However, there is no mention of how to set up this facility -
is it implemented, and how do you set it up ?

Adrian Barker, Bloomsbury Computing Consortium

jromine@ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.102857.3694@ioe.lon.ac.uk> ccaaarb@ucl.ac.uk (ADRIAN BARKER) writes:
>In the 'Admin' document for mh, it states that for SMTP delivery you can
>specify a search list, so if the main mailserver is down, others can be
>tried. However, there is no mention of how to set up this facility -
>is it implemented, and how do you set it up ?

If you config MH with one of the "/smtp" mts options, you can set
"servers:" in the mtstailor file to the list of SMTP server hosts.
"man mh-tailor" gives more information about this.
--
John Romine

ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) (11/22/90)

John Romine writes:
>ADRIAN BARKER writes:
>>In the 'Admin' document for mh, it states that for SMTP delivery you can
>>specify a search list, so if the main mailserver is down, others can be
>>tried.
>
>If you config MH with one of the "/smtp" mts options, you can set
>"servers:" in the mtstailor file to the list of SMTP server hosts.
>"man mh-tailor" gives more information about this.

It would be nice if the READ-ME file pointed the installer to the mh-tailor
man page for more info on SMTP (like "servers:" and "hosts:" options in
lib/mtstailor).  I had no idea the first time I installed SMTP why I got
	[BHST] No servers available.

Eric Z.

jromine@ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (11/22/90)

>It would be nice if the READ-ME file pointed the installer to the mh-tailor
>man page for more info on SMTP (like "servers:" ...  in lib/mtstailor).

Actually, it does.  It tells you to generate and read the Administrator's
guide before installing the system.  The mh-tailor and mh-mts man pages
are part of this guide.

I'll put a more explicit blurb in mh-mts and READ-ME (mh-gen) pointing
to the mh-tailor "servers:" option.
--
John Romine