[comp.mail.mh] Creating all subfolders in a folder path

curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu (Phil J. Curtiss) (12/31/90)

	I am looking for a way (possibly an option to the folder command)
to create all subfolders in a folder path that I might specify to a
reasonable mh command. For example,

	Suppose the folder +cm/users exists and I issue the command,

		folder +cm/users/sam/paris/lightspeed

	the folder command will fail with the messages,

	Create folder "/truffula/curtiss/Mail/cm/users/sam/paris/lightspeed"? y
	folder: unable to create directory /truffula/curtiss/Mail/cm/users \
		/sam/paris/lightspeed: No such file or directory
	folder: unable to create folder /truffula/curtiss/Mail/cm/users/sam \
		/paris/lightspeed

	I would like for there to be some option to the folder command or
some item I could place in my .mh_profile that would allow the creation of
all subfolders in a folder path. Currently I use mkdirhier to accomplish
this in some scripts which is a pain.

	My mh system is:

version: MH 6.6 #6[UCI] (gyre.umd.edu) of Wed Mar 22 14:44:50 EST 1989
         [SBACKUP='"#"'] [SENDMTS] [SMTP]

Thanks for any help.
--
Domain: curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu		     Phillip Curtiss
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

jromine@buckaroo.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (01/03/91)

curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu (Phil J. Curtiss) writes:
>	I am looking for a way (possibly an option to the folder command)
>to create all subfolders in a folder path that I might specify to a
>reasonable mh command.

The latest release - MH 6.7.1 - can do this.
--
John Romine

marvit@HPLPM.HPL.HP.COM (Peter Marvit) (01/04/91)

> 	I am looking for a way (possibly an option to the folder command)
> to create all subfolders in a folder path that I might specify to a
> reasonable mh command. For example,

As others will probably point out, this feature was added to MH 6.7.
Update and be happy.

	-Peter

: Peter Marvit   Hewlett-Packard Labs in Palo Alto, CA   (415) 857-6646    :
: Internet: <marvit@hplabs.hpl.hp.com>  uucp: {any backbone}!hplabs!marvit :

ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) (01/04/91)

Peter Marvit writes:
>> 	I am looking for a way (possibly an option to the folder command)
>> to create all subfolders in a folder path that I might specify to a
>> reasonable mh command. For example,
>
>As others will probably point out, this feature was added to MH 6.7.
>Update and be happy.

It would be nice if rmf could use a recursive (?) procedure as well
when removing folders.

Currently (MH6.7.0) rmf does not work if it has subfolders:

	moria-16: folder +main/sub1/sub2
	Create folder "/homes/osl1/ziegast/Mail/main/sub1/sub2"? y
        	main/sub1/sub2+ has   no messages.
	moria-17: rmf +main
	rmf: file "main/sub1" not deleted, continuing...
	rmf: folder +main not removed

It would be nice if instead there were a -[no]recurse switch or a prompt
which would allow rmf to remove subdirectories recursively (like rm -r).

Just adding to a mh-6.7.X (eeek!) wishlist ...
Eric W. Ziegast, University of Merryland, Engineering Computing Services
ziegast@eng.umd.edu - Eric@(301.405.3689)