[comp.mail.mh] MH 6.7 From: attribute problems

gorpong@ping.chi.il.us (Gordon C. Galligher) (01/07/91)

In my previous posting I gave the specifics of the post -help command.
I am running MH 6.7 on an SCO UNIX 3.2 system, and I am having problems
with the 'From: ' attribute which is tacked on by post.  If I have
	Signature: Gordon C. Galligher
in my mh_profile, then it attributes:  From: Gordon C. Galligher <gorpong>
on all mail.  Should this not be:  <gorpong@ping.chi.il.us> (which is my
hostname).  In the mtstailor file I have
	localname: ping.chi.il.us
	systemname: ping.chi.il.us
and I have tried these, and ignoring these, and it makes absolutely no
difference.  When a down site sees <gorpong> alone, it rewrites it to
be <gorpong@that.site> which will clearly bounce.

How can I get post to put the From: <gorpong@localhost> in their
correctly?  Is that a setup option with compiling it which I did not
do correctly?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

		-- Gordon.
--
Gordon C. Galligher	9127 Potter Rd. #2E	Des Plaines, IL    60016-4881
gorpong@ping.chi.il.us    gorpong%ping@uu.psi.com   ...!uu.psi.com!ping!gorpong

ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) (01/07/91)

"Gordon C. Galligher" writes:
>I am running MH 6.7 on an SCO UNIX 3.2 system, and I am having problems
>with the 'From: ' attribute which is tacked on by post.  If I have
>	Signature: Gordon C. Galligher
>in my mh_profile, then it attributes:  From: Gordon C. Galligher <gorpong>
>on all mail.  Should this not be:  <gorpong@ping.chi.il.us> (which is my
>hostname).  In the mtstailor file I have
>	localname: ping.chi.il.us
>	systemname: ping.chi.il.us
>and I have tried these, and ignoring these, and it makes absolutely no
>difference.  When a down site sees <gorpong> alone, it rewrites it to
>be <gorpong@that.site> which will clearly bounce.

Just a wild guess here, but what would happen if you took the "C." out of
your signature or surrounded your signature with double quotes?

	Signature: "Gordon C. Galligher"

Unquoted periods have been blamed for messing up many address headers.
It's also illegal to the RFC 822 spec for addresses.
Eric W. Ziegast, University of Merryland, Engineering Computing Services
ziegast@eng.umd.edu - Eric@(301.405.3689)

gorpong@ping.chi.il.us (Gordon C. Galligher) (01/08/91)

In article <9101070252.AA23659@bacchus.eng.umd.edu> ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU
(Eric Ziegast) writes:
>Just a wild guess here, but what would happen if you took the "C." out of
>your signature or surrounded your signature with double quotes?
>
>	Signature: "Gordon C. Galligher"
>
>Unquoted periods have been blamed for messing up many address headers.
>It's also illegal to the RFC 822 spec for addresses.

I have tried both.  When using the double quotes, then the From is:
	From: "Gordon C. Galligher" <gorpong>
And removing the C. results in:
	From: Gordon Galligher <gorpong>
This works correctly on a Sun system using sendmail/smtp as the MTS, and
some other obvious changes in configuration (options SUN40 ...) but the
main stuff is still the same.  I used post -debug to see it, and on this
system it does <gorpong> and on the Sun it does <gorpong@host>.  Wierd.

		-- Gordon.
--
Gordon C. Galligher	9127 Potter Rd. #2E	Des Plaines, IL    60016-4881
gorpong@ping.chi.il.us    gorpong%ping@uu.psi.com   ...!uu.psi.com!ping!gorpong
	"I know how it works....That's why I don't like it"
		-- Chip Salzenberg on SCO "UNIX" C2 Security Package

gorpong@ping.chi.il.us (Gordon C. Galligher) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.014236.14999@ping.chi.il.us> gorpong@ping.chi.il.us
(Gordon C. Galligher) (ME) writes:
=
=I have tried both.  When using the double quotes, then the From is:
=	From: "Gordon C. Galligher" <gorpong>
=And removing the C. results in:
=	From: Gordon Galligher <gorpong>
=This works correctly on a Sun system using sendmail/smtp as the MTS, and
=some other obvious changes in configuration (options SUN40 ...) but the
=main stuff is still the same.  I used post -debug to see it, and on this
=system it does <gorpong> and on the Sun it does <gorpong@host>.  Wierd.

I tried "options locname='"ping.chi.il.us"'" in the MH configuration file
thinking that it would make a difference.  No dice.  Is it possible that
post(8) (which the manual states will add the '@localhost' option) will
only add that if the option BSD42 or BSD43 is set?  Can it possibly think
that only Berkeley sites handle ARPAnet mail?  I am now very confused.
I have been told that I could get the MMDF source (SCO UNIX uses MMDF)
off of someplace like uunet, but I also got a response from someone at
SCO informing me that SCO has made changes and added things to the standard
MMDF stuff, and if I got the sources, I would lose that value added stuff,
and my support.  Having post(8) being setuid is a Very, Very BAD thing
and I even tried to get MH to do the delivery itself, no dice.  Until I
can figure this out, I am stuck with mailx.

Thank you all for any help you gave me.  I appreciate it!

		-- Gordon.
--

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (01/11/91)

As quoted from <1991Jan9.050238.27897@ping.chi.il.us> by gorpong@ping.chi.il.us (Gordon C. Galligher):
+---------------
| I have been told that I could get the MMDF source (SCO UNIX uses MMDF)
| off of someplace like uunet, but I also got a response from someone at
| SCO informing me that SCO has made changes and added things to the standard
| MMDF stuff, and if I got the sources, I would lose that value added stuff,
| and my support.  Having post(8) being setuid is a Very, Very BAD thing
+---------------

SCO's giving you a snow job, as usual for them.  The ONLY value-added in their
MMDF is the micnet channel, and since we don't use and don't intend to use
micnet I removed it completely from the local configuration.  I also run
MMDFIIb #43 from louie.udel.edu with no problems (after some rewriting caused
by SCO's other snow job, "C2 security").

I *did* have a problem telling MH to compile with MMDF2 as the MTS.  I could
not use MMDF2/SMTP; this system does *not* run ODT and therefors does *not*
have TCP/IP and therefore the MMDFIIb sendmail clone can not be compiled.  I
looked at what it would take to make a pipe-only sendmail such as real
sendmail has available, but I can't take time away from real work on the
client's system to muck around with rewriting it.  I don't remember what it
was exactly:  some external variable didn't exist, I simply replaced it with a
constant value (don't rememeber if it was 0 or 1 or ???) and I haven't had
problems.  Yet.  (I posted about this a few months ago and got deafening
silence in response.  I guess nobody out there runs systems that don't have
TCP/IP on them but *do* have MMDF and MH.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN