[comp.mail.mh] paging scan output

levinson@accur8.UUCP (Edward Levinson) (01/12/91)

I'd like scan's output to be paged.  Can this be done through a switch or
must I pipe scan's output through more?  Can I set up something in .mh_profile?

It seems to me to be a natural feature for scan but I haven't been able to
find a way to do it *except* by replacing scan with '$MHbin/scan $* | more'
and using PATH to pick up my scan first.  Seems kludgy to me and when
dealing with less sophisticated users I'd like not to have to introduce
a level of indirection.

Thanks in advance.../Ed Levinson
Opinions:  There mine of course, not my employer's.

ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) (01/13/91)

Edward Levinson writes:
>I'd like scan's output to be paged.  Can this be done through a switch or
>must I pipe scan's output through more?  Can I set up something in
>.mh_profile?

There are no switches or profile entries in the man page.  I haven't heard
of anything like what you want already intalled in mh.

You could always use a csh alias:

	alias scan 'scan \!* | more'

or even better, many people usually have their own personal bin directory
(ex. ~/bin).  If that is placed near or at the beginning of their PATH,
they can put all changes to their commands in that directory so that they
will be recognized first.  In ~/bin/scan, one can put

	#!/bin/sh
	/usr/local/mh/bin/scan $* | more

This seems more like a feature than anything else.  If users want to use
more on their scan output they can do what they want to make it work
that way.  I wouldn't impose a 'more' feature on any of my MH users.
Eric W. Ziegast, University of Merryland, Engineering Computing Services
ziegast@eng.umd.edu - Eric@(301.405.3689)