[comp.mail.mh] rcvdist to an alias

lawrence@epps.kodak.com (Scott Lawrence) (02/02/91)

I've been struggling with this for long enough now that I would rather
get the answer and look silly than not get the answer, so here goes:

I subscribe to a number of mailing lists, and would like to
redistribute some of them locally.  I am using slocal for a number of
other things very smoothly, so I tried using rcvdist to do this too.

First I resent stuff from the list to a system-wide (sendmail
implemented) alias for my group - which included me, which caused us
all to get about 30 copies before sendmail cried foul and stopped it.

So I tried setting up an mh alias for the list, so that the
.maildelivery line for the list is:

To bulletin@osf.org | R "/usr/local/lib/mh/rcvdist osf-dist"

and in my Aliasfile (~/.mail-aliases):

osf-dist: <snickel@aps>, <sas@aps>

Well, they don't get it - a little experimentation revealed that
rcvdist is not consulting my aliases (the mail ends up in a black hole
somewhere, I guess).  I tried adding a '-alias ~/.mail-aliases'
argument, but it says: "post: missing argument to -alias", so it looks
like rcvdist isn't passing the argument through cleanly.

Any suggestions/patches for this?  I could write a script to wrap
around rcvdist, but that seems like overkill.  My rcvdist describes
itself as follows:

version: MH 6.7 #3[UCI] (barney) of Mon Aug 6 17:14:18 EDT 1990
         [RPATHS] [MHE] [SBACKUP='"#"'] [MSGPROT='"0600"'] [SENDMTS]
         [SMTP]

Thanks in advance for the answer (if don't know and want to, send mail -
I will forward the better responses).

--
Scott Lawrence             <lawrence@epps.kodak.com>  Voice: 508-670-4023
Atex Advanced Publishing Systems                        Fax: 508-670-4033

jromine@buckaroo.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (02/02/91)

In article <5088@atexnet.UUCP> lawrence@epps.kodak.com writes:
>redistribute some of them locally.

The commonly accepted way to do this is to use a system-wide alias for
the inbound list mail, and ask the list manager to send the list mail
directly to that address.

>...my .maildelivery line for the list is:
>To bulletin@osf.org | R "/usr/local/lib/mh/rcvdist osf-dist"

This isn't going to work because rcvdist doesn't read your .mh_profile,
and doesn't know about aliases.

>...I tried adding a '-alias ~/.mail-aliases'
>argument, but it says: "post: missing argument to -alias"

rcvdist is probably interpreting the argument to -alias as an address
to distribute to.  I don't know how to work around this, offhand.
slocal and the rcvmail hooks don't read your .mh_profile so that they
can be used by non-MH users.

>Any suggestions/patches for this?

Since you have the ability to change system-wide aliases, either change
your subscription address with the mailing list, or add a system-wide
alias that lists the other people you want to dist the message to, and
continue to use rcvdist for them.
--
John Romine