[comp.mail.mh] scan `pick ...`

jromine@buckaroo.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (02/12/91)

wiseb@turing.cs.rpi.edu (G. Bowden Wise) writes:
>It seems that if no messages are generated from the `pick` part of
>the command, then it simply scans my current folder.

It doesn't do this on my system.  The latest release is MH 6.7.1.
What version are you running?
--
John Romine

jcohn@NOTE2.NSF.GOV (Jonathan Charles Cohn) (02/12/91)

>wiseb@turing.cs.rpi.edu (G. Bowden Wise) writes:
>>It seems that if no messages are generated from the `pick` part of
>>the command, then it simply scans my current folder.

>It doesn't do this on my system.  The latest release is MH 6.7.1.
>What version are you running?

This might be as dependent on the shell you are running as on the
version of MH.  I am running MH 6.7.1, and see the same type of
results.  If the backquoted pick fails, it should return a failure
code.  Some shells might still start up the command outside the
backquotes while others do not.

Jonathan C. Cohn
+1 202 357 5936

jromine@buckaroo.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (02/13/91)

jcohn@NOTE2.NSF.GOV (Jonathan Charles Cohn) writes:
>This might be as dependent on the shell you are running as on the
>version of MH.  I am running MH 6.7.1, and see the same type of results.

This might be a bug.  Pick is supposed to return the string "0", which
is supposed to make scan say:

    scan: no messages match specification

What shell are you using?  Are you giving pick any command line options
besides the selection criteria?
--
John Romine

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (02/13/91)

>If the backquoted pick fails, it should return a failure
>code.  Some shells might still start up the command outside the
>backquotes while others do not.

When I use scan `pick ...` and the pick fails, the scan still
executes but reports no messages.  Here is what I see:

   % scan `pick last:20 -subject xyzzy`
   pick: no messages match specification
   scan: no messages match specification

Here is what my manual says for "pick":

     If pick is used in a back-quoted operation, such as

          scan `pick -from jones`

     and pick fails (e.g., no messages are  from  "jones"),  then
     the  shell  will still run the outer command (e.g., "scan").
     Since no messages were matched, pick produced no output, and
     the  argument  given  to  the  outer  command as a result of
     backquoting pick is empty.  In the case of MH programs,  the
     outer  command  now  acts  as if the default `msg' or `msgs'
     should be used (e.g., "all"  in  the  case  of  scan ).   To
     prevent  this unexpected behavior, if `-list' was given, and
     if its standard output is not a tty, then pick  outputs  the
     illegal  message  number  "0"  when it fails.  This lets the
     outer command fail gracefully as well.

Compile options for "pick" here are:

version: MH 6.6 #1[UCI] (ics) of Tue May 24 15:51:53 PDT 1988
         [SBACKUP='"#"'] [FOLDPROT='"0700"'] [MSGPROT='"0600"'] [MHRC]
         [MORE='"/user/bin/less"'] [OVERHEAD] [UCI] [UK] [NEED_FCNTL]
         [SENDMTS] [SMTP]
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

truesdel@nas.nasa.gov (David A. Truesdell) (02/13/91)

jcohn@NOTE2.NSF.GOV (Jonathan Charles Cohn) writes:

>>wiseb@turing.cs.rpi.edu (G. Bowden Wise) writes:
>>>It seems that if no messages are generated from the `pick` part of
>>>the command, then it simply scans my current folder.

>>It doesn't do this on my system.  The latest release is MH 6.7.1.
>>What version are you running?

>This might be as dependent on the shell you are running as on the
>version of MH.  I am running MH 6.7.1, and see the same type of
>results.  If the backquoted pick fails, it should return a failure
>code.  Some shells might still start up the command outside the
>backquotes while others do not.

>Jonathan C. Cohn
>+1 202 357 5936

No, it has to do with the list that pick returns when it finds nothing in the
folder that matches the selection.  MH6.6, and MH6.7 return a list containing
the message number "0".  Earlier versions (i.e. MH6.1) return an empty ("")
list.  This empty list is what causes scan to produce a full listing of the
folder.

--
T.T.F.N.,
dave truesdell (truesdel@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov)

		"Abandon all hope, ye who press enter here."