[comp.mail.mh] Is mh easy to build and use?

QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Alan Thew) (02/12/91)

I am looking at Un*x mail user agents including mh. I have looked at mush
and elm and I have to admit that mh compared to the other 2 is BIG,
difficult to build (for a un*x novice) and hard to use (ver 6.7).

Since mh is widely used, I want to give it proper consideration, so try
some 'hard sell' on me. Please do *NOT* urge me to use mh-e though. GNU-Emacs
is not on the test machine and is unlikely to be (besides the other MUAs
don't need an editor to make them usable :-)).

Alan Thew  : University of Liverpool Computer Laboratory
Bitnet/Earn: QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%UK.AC.LIVERPOOL @ UKACRL
    UUCP   :           ....!mcsun!ukc!liv!qq11
   Voice   :  +44 51 794 3735        FAX : +44 51 794 3759
Internet   : QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%LIVERPOOL.AC.UK @ NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

jromine@buckaroo.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (02/14/91)

QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Alan Thew) writes:
>I am looking at ... MH.  try ... some 'hard sell' on me.

Hmm.  I'd say if you haven't outgrown a simpler mail user agent like
"mail", stay with it.  After all, your goal is to read your mail, not
become an MH wizard.

If you anticiplate handling a few hundred messages every day, you may
want to use MH.  Right now, the best sales pitch I know of is to get a
copy of Jerry Peek's excellent "MH & xmh" book.  It's 500 pages, and
still doesn't describe everything you can do with MH.

Most of the size of the MH distribution is documentation, contributed
software and MTA interfaces.  The main code (in the uip & sbr
directories) adds up to about 1.5Mb.  Since MH runs on a large number
of systems, and has a lot of configuration choices, there are a lot of
compile-time options.  You can probably just pick a standard example
configuration and go with that.
--
John Romine

wohler@sapwdf.UUCP (Bill Wohler) (02/15/91)

jromine@buckaroo.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) writes:
>QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Alan Thew) writes:
>>I am looking at ... MH.  try ... some 'hard sell' on me.

>want to use MH.  Right now, the best sales pitch I know of is to get a
>copy of Jerry Peek's excellent "MH & xmh" book.  It's 500 pages, and

  jerry recently posted a blurb about his new book (comp.newprod?)
  that incorporated the Preface or something to the book that was a
  good summary of why mh is good.  perhaps he could post that and
  enclose it in the mh's FAQ monthly posting (which i don't think yet
  exists.  john? ;-).

						--bw
						wohler@sap-ag.de

edr@CARMEL.TECHNION.AC.IL (Ehud Reshef) (02/19/91)

In article <2588@sapwdf.UUCP>, wohler@sapwdf.UUCP (Bill Wohler) writes:
|> jromine@buckaroo.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) writes:

I know this is a FAQ, but where can I get mh sources to try out ???

Ehud reshef :
        edr@techunix.technion.ac.il

jromine@buckaroo.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (02/20/91)

>I know this is a FAQ, but where can I get mh sources to try out ???

HOW TO GET MH
     Since you probably already have MH, you may not need to read
     this unless you suspect you have an old version.  There are
     two ways to get the latest release:

     1.  If you can FTP to the ARPA Internet, use anonymous FTP
     to ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.1] and retrieve the file
     pub/mh/mh-6.7.tar.Z.  This is a tar image after being run
     through the compress program (approximately 1.5MB).  There
     should also be a README file in that directory which tells
     what the current release of MH is, and how to get updates.

     This tar file is also available on louie.udel.edu
     [128.175.1.3] in portal/mh-6.7.tar.Z.  You may also find MH
     on various other hosts; to make sure you get the latest ver-
     sion and don't waste your time re-fixing bugs, it's best to
     get it from either ics.uci.edu or louie.udel.edu.

     2.  You can send $75 US to the address below.  This covers
     the cost of a 6250 BPI 9-track magtape, handling, and ship-
     ping.  In addition, you'll get a laser-printed hard-copy of
     the entire MH documentation set.  Be sure to include your
     USPS address with your check.  Checks must be drawn on U.S.
     funds and should be made payable to:

               Regents of the University of California

     The distribution address is:

               Computing Support Group
               Attn: MH distribution
               Department of Information and Computer Science
               University of California, Irvine
               Irvine, CA  92717

               714/856-7554

     Sadly, if you just want the hard-copies of the documenta-
     tion, you still have to pay the $75.  The tar image has the
     documentation source (the manual is in roff format, but the
     rest are in TeX format).  Postscript formatted versions of
     the TeX papers are available, as are crude tty-conversions
     of those papers.

/JLR
--
John Romine