[comp.mail.mh] Bcc and "apparently-to"

gary@willow.shell.com (Gary M. Lieberman) (02/16/91)

Does anyone know of a way to get around the mh bug that lists the
"Apparently-To:" line when blind-carbon copying more than one user on the same
host? This is especially a problem with Xmh which does it's own thing when
"showing" the message.

This is especially annoying since the recipients know who you copied on the noteand we sometimes get a long list from 'To:' that clutters up the whole header.
--
Gary Lieberman
Shell Oil Company, Information Center (713) 795-2290

In article <1991Feb15.215310.7745@shell.shell.com> gary@willow.shell.com (Gary M. Lieberman) writes:
>Does anyone know of a way to get around the mh bug that lists the
>"Apparently-To:" line when blind-carbon copying more than one user on the same
>host? This is especially a problem with Xmh which does it's own thing when
>"showing" the message.

 Any 'Apparently-To:' is probably being added by 'sendmail'.

 If you are up to code hacking, the correct solution is for the outbound
message from MH to contain the header:

To: Blind copy recipients:;

 The 'To:' head has no real information, but its presence inhibits 'sendmail'
from adding an 'Apparently-To:'.  Of course anyone who wants to see the list
of recipients can always look in your syslog files anyway.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

trost@reed.bitnet (Bill Trost,Box 607,ext 640,) (02/24/91)

    To: Blind copy recipients:;

    The 'To:' head has no real information, but its presence inhibits
    'sendmail' from adding an 'Apparently-To:'.

Can you explain why this works?  Doesn't it generate an error message,
or is something mysterious going on here?  (Where are my RFC's...  :-)  )