[comp.mail.mh] changing Reply-To: with MH?

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (02/27/91)

Is there any way to change the value of a Reply-To: field in MH when
the incoming messages are automatically forwarded to other users via
slocal?

We have a sort-of mailing list that I'd like to modify to change the
or in conjunction with the extant Reply-To: contents.

Right now I have a perl program that does it, but I was wondering f
there isn't something more automatic?

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) (02/27/91)

Jeff Sullivan writes:
>Is there any way to change the value of a Reply-To: field in MH when
>the incoming messages are automatically forwarded to other users via
>slocal?

Not that I know of.  But I'll congratulate you on your use of Perl
though.  I love Perl.  In fact, with Perl and MH (slocal & send),
I'm completely automating a Play By e-Mail game.

Suggestions:

1. Have a sys-admin create a sendmail alias for your mailing list.
For example, my list is "zdiplomacy@eng.umd.edu".

In the /etc/aliases file is:
zdiplomacy:"|/usr/lib/sendmail -fzdiplomacy-request zdiplomacy-outgoing"
zdiplomacy-outgoing::include:/homes/elves/ziegast/Lists/zdiplomacy.people
owner-zdiplomacy-outgoing:owner-zdiplomacy
zdiplomacy-request:owner-zdiplomacy
owner-zdiplomacy:ziegast

The file zdiplomacy.people contains a list of mail addresses seperated by
returns.

A sample header might be:

	From: Bill S. Preston esq. <flash@wam.umd.edu>
	Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 15:40:28 -0500
	To: zdiplomacy@eng.umd.edu
	Subject: Verification

When someone replies, the header should be:

	To: Bill S. Preston esq. <flash@wam.umd.edu>
	cc: zdiplomacy@eng.umd.edu

which is just fine considering that Bill is in the list.  This is the
way that many mailing lists have been set up.

2. If you execute a Perl program from slocal, maybe you can clean things up
   by using "perl -p 'filter commands' | send"

Using this method, you'd have to strip out Received:, Date: and Return-Path:
headers, and then add a Reply-to: somewhere near the from.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Eric Ziegast
ziegast@eng.umd.edu

BTW: Don't send anything to zdiplomacy.  Refer to comp.games.pbm for more
info on Play By e-Mail Diplomacy.

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (02/27/91)

But, our local mail guru says that .maildelivery and slocal only work if the
*prefixes* of aliases are unique.  For instance, I had set up some
aliases which played out like this:

torgc: the list
torgc-request: administrivia
torgc-dufus: dead mail

*But*, he says that any letter to any of the three will match the torgc entry
in .maildelivery, and torgc-request will never get done.

Is our slocal hopelessly out of date?

jas