[comp.mail.mh] mh editors

smoot@roger-rabbit.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen R. Smoot) (03/01/91)

I've been trying to customize my mh scripts to do the following, but havent
found a good answer.
I'm working on a SPARC, and always have an emacs around.  I'd like for
repl to just format the reply header and print where it is located, so I can
load it into emacs.
I got that to work with -editor echo
which just prints the message number in my drafts folder.
However, this isnt exactly what I want, as I dont really want a what now?
taking up my window.  I'd prefer it to just exit.  (and I'll do a send after I
finish with the draft).
However, there does not seem to be a way to get this to work.  If I do a
-nowhatnowproc, then it doesnt edit, so I cannot (easily) find out the message
number in the folder.
I would also like this to work with comp.
(I should mention, I guess that I have several aliases for this, repl and comp
involk emacs, q{repl,comp} use prompter and my{repl,comp} should have the
above behaviour, I dont want to mess up the other ones.)

And, if that isn't enough, anyone know how to get xmh to do this too?

-s

khera@thneed.cs.duke.edu (Vick Khera) (03/02/91)

In article <11564@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> smoot@roger-rabbit.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen R. Smoot) writes:

   I've been trying to customize my mh scripts to do the following,
   but havent found a good answer.  I'm working on a SPARC, and always
   have an emacs around.  I'd like for repl to just format the reply
   header and print where it is located, so I can load it into emacs.

assumption: you are using GNU emacs.

how about using emacs' server mode?  i always have an emacs around
like you do.  whenever i want to edit a file, i just run the client
program and tell it which file to edit.  i don't use the default
server/client that comes with emacs, i use Andy Norman's gnuserv
package.  in any case, in .mh_profile, you can set Editor to be
gnuclient (or emacsclient) and make sure that your emacs has a server
running. then whenever you comp or repl or forw or anything that uses
an editor in mh, it will just stick it in your emacs buffer and let
you edit.  you don't need to find it manually.  when you are done,
just kill the buffer, and the whatnow prompt comes up in the original
window.
Vick Khera, Gradual Student/Systems Guy   Department of Computer Science
ARPA:   khera@cs.duke.edu                 Duke University
UUCP:   ...!mcnc!duke!khera               Durham, NC 27706     (919) 660-6528

gildea@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Stephen Gildea) (03/02/91)

    From: smoot@roger-rabbit.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen R. Smoot)
    Date: 1 Mar 91 10:24:32 GMT

    I'm working on a SPARC, and always have an emacs around.  I'd like
    for repl to just format the reply header and print where it is
    located, so I can load it into emacs.

Why not just use mh-e (the Emacs front end for MH) and be in Emacs
from the start?  If you do this, you'll want to get Emacs version
18.56 or later because a new mh-e.el was distributed with 18.56 that
is much faster than previous versions.

 < Stephen
   MIT X Consortium

jch@dyfed.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) (03/04/91)

In article <11564@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, smoot@roger-rabbit.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen R. Smoot) writes:
|> I'm working on a SPARC, and always have an emacs around.  I'd like for
|> repl to just format the reply header and print where it is located, so I can
|> load it into emacs.

The obvious glue for this is to use the emacs server mode, which
is fine so long as either (a) the socket for rendezvous is not UNIX or
(b) you don't ever expect to have the emacs server and `comp' or `repl'
on different machines.

Some slightly non-obvious glue is to hack up a small program to
send key-press and key-release events (one assumes you are using
X11 or something that has an equivalent notion) to the window that the
editor owns to read the draft file--wrap this in a shell script and call
it an editor.  The advantage to this glue is that you can extend it to things
like `showproc' to `type' at things like the "Change File" dialog box in
xless.

If you want my hack for sending key-press and key-release events,
just ask and I'll send it.
--
John Haxby, Definitively Wrong.
Digital				<jch@wessex.rdg.dec.com>

gildea@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Stephen Gildea) (03/05/91)

I received private mail asking

    What is the version number of this new mh-e.el file?  We do not have 18.56
    emacs here yet, but I would like to upgrade my personal version of mh-e.el.

but I suspect the answer may be widely interesting.  The new mh-e.el
begins like this:
;;;  mh-e.el	(Version: 3.7 for GNU Emacs Version 18 and MH.5 and MH.6)

If you don't want to do a full Emacs upgrade yet but want the new
mh-e.el, you can get it via anonymous ftp from primost.cs.wist.edu.

 < Stephen
   MIT X Consortium

gildea@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Stephen Gildea) (03/05/91)

I received private mail asking

    What is the version number of this new mh-e.el file?  We do not have 18.56
    emacs here yet, but I would like to upgrade my personal version of mh-e.el.

but I suspect the answer may be widely interesting.  The new mh-e.el
begins like this:
;;;  mh-e.el	(Version: 3.7 for GNU Emacs Version 18 and MH.5 and MH.6)

If you don't want to do a full Emacs upgrade yet but want the new
mh-e.el, you can get it via anonymous ftp from primost.cs.WISC.edu.

 < Stephen
   MIT X Consortium