[comp.mail.mh] Compiling MH6.7 & MMDF2 on DEC wkstn5000

D-Hertel@hq.asa.COM (Dave Hertel) (03/06/91)

Help!

I'm trying to compile mmdf2-43 & MH6.7.1 on a DEC
RISC based workstation 5000/200 running Ultrix v4.1
Both mmdf & MH compile ok (albeit w/misc. errors that the
compiler seems content with ignoring)

But 2 problems have surfaced:
1) inc & msgchk  don't work.  Both programs produce a
   segmentation fault (and sometimes a core dump)
   All other MH programs appear to function normally.

   During compiliation of the MH code, several times the
   error: "Warning: illegal pointer combination" shows up.
   I've tried compiling w/several different options set in the
   conf/MH file but alway have the same results.
   The compiler stop, is just give warnings..

2) the SMTP daemon won't run.  When the SMTP daemon is
   executed, it immediately quits with an error code "98".
   The network connection is operational as far as I can tell
   although I have not yet (but soon) connected the DEC to a
   ether backbone.  Hints?

Also, I've recently compilied this same code with same options on
a SUN running ver:4.1.1.  The SUN did not produce any of these
problems.  On the DEC, I tried to use the same options, except
that I removed options that directly referred to SUNOS.

Help & Hints would be appreciated.
Dave Hertel

vossj@topaz.ucq.edu.au (03/08/91)

> I'm trying to compile mmdf2-43 & MH6.7.1 on a DEC
> RISC based workstation 5000/200 running Ultrix v4.1
> Both mmdf & MH compile ok (albeit w/misc. errors that the
> compiler seems content with ignoring)
>
> But 2 problems have surfaced:
> 1) inc & msgchk  don't work.  Both programs produce a
>    segmentation fault (and sometimes a core dump)
>    All other MH programs appear to function normally.
>
>    During compiliation of the MH code, several times the
>    error: "Warning: illegal pointer combination" shows up.
>    I've tried compiling w/several different options set in the
>    conf/MH file but alway have the same results.
>    The compiler stop, is just give warnings..

I've also been trying to get MH6.7.1 working on our DECstation 500/200 and I
have exactly the same problem. I noticed that both inc and msgchk don't
link properly, they both give the following error.

ld:
Undefined:
macnum
proxy
macros
macbuf

Any thoughts,
John

 John Voss,                        InfoPSI:         J.Voss@ucq.edu.au
 Computing Services,               AARNet/Internet: J.Voss@ucq.edu.au
 University College of Central Queensland,    Phone: +61 79 369804
 Rockhampton, QLD. 4702                         Fax: +61 79 361361
 Australia.                                   [DTE 050527372000077]

jch@hollie.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.101306.6977@topaz.ucq.edu.au>, vossj@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:
|> I've also been trying to get MH6.7.1 working on our DECstation 500/200 and I
|> have exactly the same problem. I noticed that both inc and msgchk don't
|> link properly, they both give the following error.
|>

|> ld:
|> Undefined:
|> macnum
|> proxy
|> macros
|> macbuf

This is the source of your problems.  The undefined symbols ensure that inc
and msgchk don't produce fully resolved images--if you try to run something
that has the relocation information in it it core dumps.

There are two fixes for this; one is to wait for the next release of ULTRIX (which
isn't pretty); the other is to extract ruserpass.o from /lib/libc.a on ULTRIX V4.0
and do the ar stuff to put it back into /lib/libc.a on 4.1.  (These undefined
symbols come from a dodgy ruserpass.o that slipped throug the net).  If you
don't have access to the V4.0 ruserpass.o; mail me directly and I'll send it
to you.  Equally, if you have the 4.3BSD ruserpass.c; you can compile it
up and I believe it will work just fine.
--
John Haxby, Definitively Wrong.
Digital				<jch@wessex.rdg.dec.com>