[comp.mail.mh] ELM vs. MH

luj@gus17.ecn.purdue.edu (Jun Lu) (02/23/91)

Hello,  everyone,

I am at a point to switch from /usr/ucb/mail to another "better" mail. Our
system has both elm and mh installed and only a few people are using either
of them.  Before I embrace one of the two mailers,  can you experts out
there give me some evaluations about elm and mh ? I like to hear both pros
and cons about the two mailers.  To minimize the bandwidth, please reply by
e-mail. And I'll post a summary if there is enough interest.

In your evaluation, please pay attention to the following aspects:

	0. philosophy
	1. easiness to use( Xmh, Xelm ?)
	2. flexibility( formating the mail ).
	   interaction with other unix tool
	3. mail filtering( slocal, filter)
	4. which one are you using ? Why ?
	5. other ...

Thanks for your attention.
--Jun
--
-- Jun Lu                          Internet:luj@ecn.purdue.edu          --
-- Aeronautics & Astronautics      Bitnet:  luj%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm  --

aoki@hermes.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (03/10/91)

luj@Ecn.Purdue.Edu (Jun Lu) writes:
>[My comments(Jun's): MH's slocal is not smart enough to match a regexp.
>Neither can ELM's filter]

I've always sort of wondered why no one ever hacked regular expressions
into slocal, at least as an option.  It's especially odd considering
that there's already regex code lying around (e.g., pick).  Is there
a historical reason?  Has it been considered too expensive?
--
    Paul M. Aoki   |   aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU   |   ...!ucbvax!aoki