[comp.mail.mh] Bug in group-list addressing?

aks%anywhere@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Alan Stebbens) (03/12/91)

I'm not sure where the bug in this occurs, but I'll describe what
happened and let other's volunteer an answer; they always do anyway :^)

I set the To: line as follows:

	To: myalias

In my -alias file, the following alias exists:

	myalias: A List of People: user1, user2, user3, user4;
	user1: user1@host1 (User One)
	user2: user2@host2 (User Two)
	user3: user3@host3 (User Three)
	user4: user4@host4 (User Four)

This produces, by "whom", the following:

	-- Local Recipients
	user4

	-- Network Recipients --
	user1@host1
	user2@host2
	user3@host3

Notice the strange fact that user4 remains unqualified, as if his alias
wasn't found.

But, if I form the alias this way:

	myalias: A List of People: user1, user2, user3, user4, ;

it works just fine.  I suppose a null address gets generated and
subsequently ignored somewhere in the process, but who cares?

That's just the output from "whom" which works.  When the mail actually
gets sent, however, something different happens: the mail gets formed
like this:

	To: A List of People: ;@myhost, user2@host2, user3@host3,
		user4@host4

which is quite strange.  It tells me, though, that the group list
parsing is done *before* the aliasing, or some of it anyway (the first
pass?).

Also, why does "@myhost" get tacked on behind the group list?  Is this
done by MH or my sendmail config?

Ok, you all tell me what I've done wrong and how to do what I would like
to do: create an alias which maps to a group list of people.

Thanks, I guess.
Alan

jcohn@NSF.GOV (Jonathan Charles Cohn) (03/14/91)

Hmm,, sounds like you are not running MH-6.7.  MH 6.7 just removes any instance
of group listing in an alias.  This means that to send to a group one has to
do something like...

To: My Group: users ;

where users is you alias.

The @myhost that you see tacked on to the mail comes from sendmail.  I believe
that this is not RFC complient.

Jonathan C. Cohn
+1 202 357 5936

aks%anywhere@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Alan Stebbens) (03/14/91)

> Hmm,, sounds like you are not running MH-6.7.  MH 6.7 just removes any
> instance of group listing in an alias.

I *do* have MH-6.7.1.  It appears, though, that the group list stuff is
done before the "alias" is performed, or perhaps, after the first pass
of alias substitutions.  If you want to have an alias defined as a group
list, this doesn't seem to work:

myalias: A List of People: user1, user2, user3;

I use aliases to make it easy for me to address a bunch of people.  Yet
if I want to use group aliases, and I must always type the group "name"
as well as the alias for the members of the group, then this usage is
less than convenient.

 "Computers should do the work for people, not people do the work for
  computers."

> The @myhost that you see tacked on to the mail comes from sendmail.  I
> believe that this is not RFC complient.

Yes.  I've figured this out; I will have to change my sendmail.cf to
recognize group list addressing and not tack on the hostname in this
case.

Alan

jromine@buckaroo.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (03/14/91)

aks%anywhere@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Alan Stebbens) writes:
>I set the To: line as follows:
>
>	To: myalias
>
>In my -alias file, the following alias exists:
>
>	myalias: A List of People: user1, user2, user3, user4;

Unfortunately, MH alias files don't work this way.  See mh-alias(5)
for more details.  To get the result you want, use:

	To: A List of People: myalias ;

--
John Romine

aks%anywhere@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Alan Stebbens) (03/15/91)

> Unfortunately, MH alias files don't work this way.  See mh-alias(5)
> for more details.  To get the result you want, use:
>
> 	To: A List of People: myalias ;

Is this designed to work that way?  Is there some reason why the group
list parsing can't be done *after* the alias substitution?  I'll do the
code unless someone already familiar with it tells me that's it's
unfeasible because of some offered reason.

Alan

In article <9103141643.AA01929@anywhere> aks%anywhere@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Alan Stebbens) writes:
>> Unfortunately, MH alias files don't work this way.  See mh-alias(5)
>> for more details.  To get the result you want, use:
>>
>> 	To: A List of People: myalias ;
>
>Is this designed to work that way?  Is there some reason why the group
>list parsing can't be done *after* the alias substitution?  I'll do the
>code unless someone already familiar with it tells me that's it's
>unfeasible because of some offered reason.

  If you must 'fix' it, be sure you don't break it.  That is, if you want
do alias substitution then parse, make sure you do another alias substitution
afterwards.

  After all, there really may be uses for:

To:  A list of people: myalias, user_without_alias ;

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940